weird rangemaster problem

Started by freak scene, March 18, 2006, 11:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freak scene

so i got the rangemaster build and it works great kinda.  i used the dragonfly vero layout for the npn version but i added a trim pot on the base to ground of the transistor instead of the 68k resistor.  so i try it out with a battery and all goes well, then i switch to an adapter, all is well, a little more noisey but whatever, then i go back to the battery and nothing.  so i start poking around and it seems that if i touch the lug of the 3pdt that is connected to the output (2nd one down on the far right using the bypass layout on tonepad for the 3pdt true bypass with an LED).

i have checked and rechecked all of the solder joints, and voltages and i really have no idea what is causing this.

deadsnake

Quoteso i start poking around and it seems that if i touch the lug of the 3pdt that is connected to the output (2nd one down on the far right using the bypass layout on tonepad for the 3pdt true bypass with an LED).

so what happens when you do this? I think you forgot to something there.

freak scene

Quote from: deadsnake on March 19, 2006, 01:34:36 AM
Quoteso i start poking around and it seems that if i touch the lug of the 3pdt that is connected to the output (2nd one down on the far right using the bypass layout on tonepad for the 3pdt true bypass with an LED).

so what happens when you do this? I think you forgot to something there.

sorry,

the pedal starts working again like normal. 

in short, if i use a battery and then switch to an adapter and then go back to the battery no go, but then if i touch the lug on the switch, it starts working again.

petemoore

Supernatural Elektroanomoly Phenomenon.
  Some will claim these experiences never happen, but they have happened to the claimants, it's just that they haven't notice it yet, lucky for them we guess.
  I've proven countless times, in crossreferenced and acute tests, done alone of course, that SEP does exist. A problem which cannot be found is proven to make absolutely no sense at all, as well as defy the laws of ohm and physics at the same time.
  SEP's can't always be found, sometimes it's a hit or miss affair of changing things, one at a time to find out which change 'got around' the SEP.
  The thing that should not be.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Toney

I'd check reflow all my solder joints and double check grounds.
Also test with an alternative transistor if you have one.

freak scene

i should be getting some more transistors in this week, ill have to check it then.

in the mean time, on to my dod 250 build.

$uperpuma

I would also check that you didn't overheat and unseat that lug in the switch. Happened to me before.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

freak scene

actually this is the second switch so i hope that isnt the case.