Can you make a power supply cord shorter?

Started by 2deaconblues, March 19, 2006, 10:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2deaconblues

Here's something I've been wondering about. I have my power supply mounted to a power strip on my pedal board. Since I use the power strip's cord to plug into the wall, the long cord of my power supply is just coiled up and taking up space on my pedal board. Can I cut the power suplly cord, trim off several feet of it,  and splice the end (the barrel plug) back on? I use a daisy chain from the power supply to my five pedals,  so the daisy chain is long enough to reach the pedals.

twabelljr

You could make it more versatile if you cut a few inches back from the adapter, and a few inches back from the plug. Then put a 2-way connector on the end of each. (one male and one female of course) Then put a male 2-way on one end of the middle piece you cut out, and a female on the other end. You could have a short supply with just the adapter and plug ends connected together, and a long one if you ever need it by plugging the middle section back in.
Edit: picture added
Shine On !!!

Satch12879

Yes, but here's a better and safer way: go to your local hardware store and pickup a new AC plug.  I use what are known as armored plugs.  Hack off the end of the cord, strip it, and install the new plug.  Will look neater than a splice job, too.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Joecool85

Splices can be plenty safe so long as you do a good job and then electrical tape it.  I do agree however that it would look better with a new plug.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

Rick

And don't forget heat shrink tubing !  A small piece on each soldered joint, and a slightly larger
diameter piece to cover the whole mess. It takes mere minutes to do, and makes quite a robust connection.  ...Rick

LyleCaldwell

If you do put in a splice, use the Neutrik inline Powercon plugs.  Unbeatable.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

2deaconblues

Thanks for the replies. Those modular plugs look really cool, BTW :icon_cool: I had been planning to use heat shrinks to cover splice, but I may use those plugs for another project I have in mind.