Newbie with problem

Started by SG Lou, March 19, 2006, 11:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG Lou

Hello folks, been reading up a lot here and decided to build my own Rangemaster style boost pedal. I ran into a problem............It dosen't work ! For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Than while reading topics on this  forum it dawned on me what might be the problem. i wired the board for N/P/N and i ordered P/N/P transistors. Could this be why the pedals don't work?
Also, is this transistor - The Rangemaster Mullard OC44, which i got a pair of , a P/N/P or N/P/N design?

Thanks for the great board !
..Lou

AzzR

You can not use PNP in an NPN circuit or vice versa unless you change th polarity or somthings

Not sure exactly what to change but im sure a quick search will help

Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

SG Lou

I spoke with the owner via email over at Small Bear Electronics. Just as i thought. I got the wrong transistors. He's going to exchange them for me. !

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum.  :icon_biggrin:

Steve is a great guy! 8)

To switch a simple PNP circuit to NPN or vise versa, all you need to do is to reverse the battery connections and reverse and polarized capacitors. The big downside of basic PNP boosts is that they need their own power and cannot share a supply with the rest of your pedals. NPN boosts don't have that issue.

Here is a Veroboard layout for an NPN version of the Rangemaster:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18/RANGEBLASTER_VERO

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

calpolyengineer

I would really recommend the NPN rangemaster for just that reason.

-Joe

SG Lou

Thanks for the Welcome Guys !   My whole reasoning behind the N/P/N was for Pete stated!

BTW: Awesome layouts on that link ! Thanks  :icon_wink: