couple simple questions about speakers

Started by choklitlove, April 01, 2006, 12:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choklitlove

i'm building the ruby amp.  i'm using two of these:http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13674

1.  does it matter which lug on the speakers i use for positive and negative?  as long as i do the same for both, it will work, right?  the reason i ask is because these speakers' lugs aren't labelled.

2.  should i wire them in series or parallel?

that's it.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

George Giblet

Get a 1.5V battery and connect it across the speaker for a short period.  You will see the cone push in or out (eg you may need to touch the cone on those).  If the cone pushes out the battery +ve is on the speakers +ve input.  Connect the speaker +ve to the amp output and the speaker -ve to ground.  It's best to get the speaker phased correctly.

if you mount those with the vented plastic facing you then you need to reverse the meaning of in and out.

[Actually if you look close at the terminal they have a + and - marking impressed into the white tag.
I check one that I pulled from a computer and it's pretty darn hard to reliably feel which way the cone is moving]

You can wire them in parallel for more output.

BTW.  Those speakers will sound crap.  Smaller cone types would be better.

choklitlove

Quote from: George Giblet on April 01, 2006, 01:01:52 AM
[Actually if you look close at the terminal they have a + and - marking impressed into the white tag.
I check one that I pulled from a computer and it's pretty darn hard to reliably feel which way the cone is moving]
wow.  i see that now.  they are all covered in flux or glue or something.  thanks for your help!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.