Blinking led with Kay Tremolo?

Started by syndromet, April 03, 2006, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

Does anybody know how to add a blinking led to show the rate on this project? I know it has been done with the EA trem, but is there a way to do this with a circuit like the Kay?

Hoping someone can help me here...
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

Transmogrifox

Right now I'm looking at the Kay Trem schematic at GGG.  It appears you could put an LED in series with that 1k8 resistor going toward the collector of the oscillator transistor (the only 1.8k resistor in the schematic).  I'll bet the transistor gets near cut-off before it turns around, so the LED would probably pulsate.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Arn C.

I did this to my Kay Tremolo build but I would have to open it up to tell you what I did.  It's at home right now.   If I get a chance I will bring it in tomorrow to work with me and open it up.
Mine does follow the speed accordingly.  Did you do the depth mod?  I find this makes a big difference.

Peace!
Arn C.

syndromet

yes I did the deapth mod.
I can't get it to work, though. I've probed the thing, and the signal stops at the first transistor. I'v tried several transistors, all tested in another circuit, and I have turned and twisted the transistor every possible way. I get sound at the base, but nothing at the collector or emitter. I guess it's my first case of bad soldering. :D I'll try adding the led after the 1k8 when I get it to work.

Thanks for the help, guys.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

brother numsi

Hey guys!
I just stumbled upon this thread as I'm currently building this Kay tremolo.
A 1k8 resistor is not in the circuit, so did you mean the 1k2 instead?
Syndromet, I was wondering if you figured out the blinking LED and how you did it?

Also I could use some help with my own build, so you're all kindly invited to join that thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=69228.0
:icon_wink:
Thanks!