Multivox Little David schematic

Started by any, April 05, 2006, 06:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

any

I'm really intersted in a schematic for the Multivox little David.
I found some post about teeny leslies where R.G. describes it's workings a bit.
Especially the footswitchable fast/slow with ramp up/down lloks
mighty interesting. So I wonder if it can be build...
I did some searching on the net and did not find  possible schematics..
So idea's are welcome!
It's supposed to sound that way.

skiraly017

I had one once and looked inside. From what I remember, it's just a multi op-amp phaser but a very involved one. You may be better of finding a used one. They pop up fom time to time.

Forgot to mention you also might look for a Multivox Full Rotor. Not as cool looking as the Little David, but I think essentially the same unit and can be found for about half the price.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

skiraly017

$20 will get you one here. No affiliation or experience with seller.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

R.G.

The Little David and Fullrotor are transistor ladder based phasers. They're 12 stages as I remember - but that could be eight as well. They're fairly complex, with the sweep to the ladder being driven from a linear-to-exponential converter. The unit is clearly a descendent of the Moog ladder filter.

They're both AC powered. This is at least partly because 9V is not enough to run a ladder very well. I think the Fullrotor is +/-15Vdc powered, with an internal 120Vac power transformer.

They're complex, lots of parts, maybe matched parts needed in the ladders.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

whythisreason?

That's a pitty...
Mainly because I lost out on a little David (The seller didn't care to ask me for a second bid and sold it to the bidder above me)
I was very intrigued by it and using the search I accidentaly discovered that analog leslie-sims are amongst the
holy grails when it comes to the impossibillity to captivate such a sound in mere electronics. (from what I've read anyway)
I'd think I'll have a look at the leslie sim over at GGG and the LERA circuit.
I've played the Boss Roto sim and it was quite nice, but at the Messe in Germany I heard the Guy from Meteoro (brazillian amplifiers)
play through one of their custom build leslies and found myself stopped dead in my tracks listening to it....  ;D
I think I'll investigate a little more (the Ampworks idea looks very cool as well!)

(PS: on a side note, to my amazement I see I have two user id's without actually noticing it up until now...  :P
whythisreason?=any guess I made one at work and made a second one at home... I'm kinda altzheimer-light....)

puretube

R.G.

QuoteThat's a pitty...Mainly because I lost out on a little David ... and using the search I accidentaly discovered that analog leslie-sims are amongst the
holy grails when it comes to the impossibillity to captivate such a sound in mere electronics.
The Little David and Multivox are after all, just complex phasers. They are NOT decent emulations of a real Leslie.

I have come around to the point of view that if you want a rotating speaker, get a rotating speaker.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

whythisreason?

Ahhhhhhhh, thank Mr PureTube!! (Puurbuis?) that gets my saliva running again...  :P
The guy was playing some tasty stuff through that, he looks like the dracula from sesame street!
Anyway, I'm very very intrigued (aren't we all) by the power of leslie and will have to study a bit more on the subject.

PS: To puretube, bedankt voor de Tubezipper! ik ben er erg blij mee.

skiraly017

Quote from: R.G. on April 06, 2006, 12:06:47 AMI have come around to the point of view that if you want a rotating speaker, get a rotating speaker.

I have to agree with R.G. on this. I have yet to find a pedal that fully captures the Leslie sound.

puretube

MartyMart

"Line 6 Roto Machine" gets you fairly close for £80   !!

Sorry "tubeophiles"  .....  :icon_redface:

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

any

I stumbled across a working Leslie model 215, wich is in need of sevice but pretty good
overall condition including the original remote.
I can't find much info on this particular model, al I know is the following:

Amplifier Type = None
Drum 1 = Rotosonic 6x9
Horn = none
Speeds = 2

The 215 is designed to be connected to the organs internal amplifier.
This model was made for use with almost any monaural organ, when connected via the appropriate connector kit.

Does anyone know more about this model?
I can get it fairly cheap, just don't know if it's worthwhile soundwise...
(since it has no horn or internal amp.)

Any info apprieciated!
It's supposed to sound that way.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: skiraly017 on April 06, 2006, 11:27:16 AM
Quote from: R.G. on April 06, 2006, 12:06:47 AMI have come around to the point of view that if you want a rotating speaker, get a rotating speaker.

I have to agree with R.G. on this. I have yet to find a pedal that fully captures the Leslie sound.

Probably none of them will nail it....in mono.  Some of the more recent digital emulators, run in stereo, can do a very credible job, though.  The spatial movement and swirl is critical.

hairyandy

Still to this day the only thing that I've heard that is really, really close to emulating a leslie is the Dynacord CLS-222.  I was pretty blown away by it actually and I've played through a ton of leslies.  It's a single-rack space unit that was produced in the late 70's to early 80's, I believe.  I could be wrong about the time line though.  Regardless, they're very hard to find and very expensive when you do see them pop up on Ebay.  The guy that I tech for uses a Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere in his rack and it's OK but it's really noisy in certain venues.

Still, I'll take my Fender Vibratone over them all...
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Mark Hammer

I have an 8" Vibratone equivalent (salvaged from a Kawai organ), and a Tone Core Roto Machine.  Running the Roto in stereo compares VERY favourably to my "cheese wheel wonder" for me.  I certainly can't say how it stacks up to the Dynacord, but it makes me VERY happy.

puretube

hairyandy

Here's the Dynacord CLS-222 schematic for anyone who is interested.  I can't remember where I found this:

http://www.andyharrison.net/files/cls2221.jpg

http://www.andyharrison.net/files/cls2222.jpg

It doesn't look too easy to make to me, but then I'm a wuss.  Wait, haven't I said that already?    ;D
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Mark Hammer

.....and layout will definitely not be an issue with this one! :icon_lol: