Anyone know a good source for little speakers?

Started by Harry, April 05, 2006, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I'm talking about a couple watts for a practice amp. Any that work good for guitar?

Thanks

bancika

Check out Weber, he has 6" and maybe 4". I wouldn't go smaller than 6"
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

jrc4558

If you happen to live anywhere near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, then - Active Surplus!

Mark Hammer

Lots and lots of places and companies have 8" full range speakers for use in ceiling-mounted intercom systems.  I've bought quite a few from a place near me that salvages from their other wrecking business.  Man of these have a nice bottom and top end, and provide a nice compromise size where a lot of volume can be extracted without a lot of cab space.  You can often find them for well under $15.  I've paid as little as $5@.

Harry

Joecool85

Any smaller than that and speakers are't horribly efficient, and tend to have cruddy frequency response.  I wanted a 2.5" or so speaker for my littlegem, so I bought a $5 radio, gutted it and used the speaker.  To me it was well worth the $5.  It actually sounds ok, but, on that same note, it is 2-3x louder when playing through my 10" dean markley cab.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

Mark Hammer

Depends what you want the thing to do.  If all you want to do is work out the chords for something, or tune backstage, then you can hear those with a 2-1/2"  "beeper" speaker salvaged from out of an old 286 computer.  If you want the "feeling" of an amp, or want to test out gear with something approximating full guitar bandwidth, then 2-3" is not going to be enough.  I made myself a "leaky" closed cab practice amp with an LM380, 8-pack of C-cells, and a 6" Marsland speaker whose bass performance and volume still impresses me.  Some 6" speakers, and even 4-1/2" speakers, can have striking bass.  If "practice" for you means playing with other people or busking, though, then I suspect nothing less than an 8" is likely to deliver the sort of volume levels needed.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: bancika on April 05, 2006, 01:54:43 PM
Check out Weber, he has 6" and maybe 4". I wouldn't go smaller than 6"

+1 8)

I've tried a lot of speakers with 386 amps and the larger, the better. They sound GREAT through my Leslie 122 (15 inch woofer & a tweeter around 6 inches).
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bancika

Quote from: Harry on April 05, 2006, 02:20:10 PM
QuoteI wouldn't go smaller than 6"
Why not?

Cause they sound like poo, depending on sound you need recommened size is either 12" or 10" (for fender-like sound), anything beyond that just doesn't sound good with guitar.

twabelljr

MCM has some low cost full range speakers. This one seems like it would make a decent small practice amp speaker. 5 1/2 inches, 8 ohms, 25W, wide freq. range, 5 bucks: http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=58%2D9935&info=details
Shine On !!!

Harry

QuoteInsert Quote
     MCM has some low cost full range speakers. This one seems like it would make a decent small practice amp speaker. 5 1/2 inches, 8 ohms, 25W, wide freq. range, 5 bucks: http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=58%2D9935&info=details
Thanks, That might be what I'm looking for.

QuoteCause they sound like poo, depending on sound you need recommened size is either 12" or 10" (for fender-like sound), anything beyond that just doesn't sound good with guitar.
OK I see what you mean. Just finished playing through a 3" and a 4.5" speaker. They do have GREAT highs, but sound rumbley and crap for the lows.

bancika

Yeah, smaller speaker just can't have same depth as 12", especially when played with distortion. It would sound fizzy

brett

Hi.
I have a MusicMan with 2 x 10s that sounds excellent.  But I feel that it is difficult to get strong bass and high efficiency out of 6" or smaller speakers.

Have a look at Sammi speakers - very cheap and very high quality.  My US$50 Sammi 12" sounds about as close to a Greenback as a Greenback re-issue does.  Here's their 40W 8" : http://www.sammisound.com/products/pro/03-17.htm
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Harry

After only playing through small speakers today and being very happy with the brightness and clarity I'm wondering why it isn't "standard" For guitar amps to have a small speaker and a larger one with a crossover. Bigger speakers swamp all the shiny parts from the tone.

brett

Good question.
I think it is personal choice mostly.  I don't like that bright tone all of the time.  I have a bright MusicMan (nee Fender) and a dull Marshall.  Each has their "thing", but at the moment I use the Marshall 80% of the time (mid-life crisis = playing ACDC a lot ??).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The other approach, is to just take a domestic "bookshelf" speaker & stick a little amp in it!! Speakers are cheapo at furniture auction places or thrifts.

smank

This is a classic problem. Sometimes I think to realize a smaller box for practice... but every time I plug my small cab with G10 Vintage Celestion speaker I decide this is the smallest speaker I'll use with my guitar: it sound very good and offers a good feeling! Sometimes you forget it's a 10" speaker... But it's not so cheap. I use it at home with my AX84 P1 (class A 5W with EL84).
The choice for 8" could be the Celestion Super 8.
I don't know how sounds the Jensen MOD series speakers, but they are cheap and there is a 6,5" speaker too: instead of generic speakers I think they are acceptable for guitar.

bancika

+1 for Jensen MOD, I didn't hear them either, but they are cheap and made for guitar...cany be bad like car speakers or something. Also Weber Signature are very cheap and maybe better than Jensens

Twister22

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on April 06, 2006, 05:21:16 AM
The other approach, is to just take a domestic "bookshelf" speaker & stick a little amp in it!! Speakers are cheapo at furniture auction places or thrifts.

Hell, just take a computer monitor unit that someones throwing out with their 5yearold Dell and use a 1/4" ot 1/8" adapter.  Call it your Cyber-Pignose. 

Mark Hammer

Antique Electronic Supply has some nice deals on smaller Jensen Mod speakers these days.  https://secure.tubesandmore.com/