Fender footswitch help please.

Started by fixr1984, April 09, 2006, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixr1984

I just picked up a Fender Roc Pro 1000 amp head. The store gave me a 2 button footswitch for it but it need a 3.
To switch between clean/overdrive, drive/more drive and reverb. I found a schematic here...http://www.fender.com/support/amp_schematics/pdfs/Roc_Pro_1000_Schematic_B12.pdf
Right near the letter B is the schematic.
Im kinda lost, I looked one up on musicans friend and it shows a mono cord being used. Is that possible.
Can someone help me figure out how i could wire this up? Diodes? Like I said I'm lost. Thanks

John Lyons

Is the footswitch jack on the amp only one hole or two? 1/4" I assume...?
Usually for a two button switch you will see a 1/4" stereo jack. For three switches it may be a two jack setup.
Foot switches are usually just connecting two wire at the switch and the switch breaking or making the conection to switch channels or to activate reverb...Let us know about the jacks and then we can help...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

fixr1984

Heres what I would need from Musicans Friend. The pic shows a mono plug. My amp has only one plug on it. The jack is soldered to the board with 4 solder joints.
The 2 button switch i have will only switch the channel and the other switch wont do anything. If the amp is set for  "more drive" it will switch back to drive just by plugging
the switch in but the switch will not operate it.

slacker

It probably does use a mono cable, I think Fender switches use an arrangement of diodes in the switch to do the switching, rather than just switching things to ground.
I've been trying to figure out my Fender Twin's footswitch, that uses a stereo lead but has 4 switches. The circuit board consists of LEDs, switches and diodes. I don't know how it works, presumably different combinations of diodes send different signals or voltages to the amp.
Sorry I can't be of more help :)

John Lyons

Sounds more complex that I'd try right off the bat. May not be too hard to figure out but you'll need another switch, box, some diodes...

I'd check on ebay and try to get the real thing. It's probably going to be cheaper/easier than making it. Assuming you can get a schematic and figure it out. Maybe check back with the shop to see if they have the correct switch, maybe get back a few bucks if not?

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Gilles C

It's right there in the schematic.

You are switching a positive and negative voltage or no voltage on a single wire with the diodes in the footswitch.

I have the same for my HRD, but maybe that you should buy the footswitch because of the parts involved.

Gilles

fixr1984

Quote from: Gilles C on April 10, 2006, 01:56:17 PM
but maybe that you should buy the footswitch because of the parts involved.

Gilles

I was most likely going to do that but I was hoping it was something easy to rig up.
Thanks for all the help.

John Lyons

It's pretty simple to rig up but you are looking at something like this $ wise.

3 switches $15
Stomp box $8 or so
Zener and a couple other diodes and parts $2 or so plus $8 shipping assuming you get everyting for the same place.
So around $30 give or take.
Try ebay and see what you can find. Might be a little more but then you fingure time and maybe resale value on the amp if you end up selling it...then you have the matching foot switch...

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/