built an affect i want to share

Started by bored and old, April 10, 2006, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bored and old

ok. i'm new here. i may never come here again.
i built something iv'e had churning in my brain for years...
the volume of the the 'played' guiter turns a motor that is attached the the potentiometer of an effect...(your choose of effect).. i used a wha wha effect.

1 I built a 'smoky clone'... a simple little amp, using a LM 386. this amplifies the guitar, to drive the second 'smoky clone'.
    2 I built a second 'smoky clone' , except this one is modified to run a small motor. the louder you play, the faster the motor turns.
    3 this is connected to the effect pot of a wha, or other effect to create a auto trem/ wha/ whatever.
(note) i took the stopper off the potentiometor for continuios spin... the motor gets picked up by the potentiometor and creates a noisy sort of harmonic... i wanted to try it with a little ac motor, so it would jump around.
If someone thinks it is worth it, i will attemp to draw up a schematic of this.
thanks. jeff

rockgardenlove

Very interesting idea...

Wouldn't it be easier just to use an LDR though...it would have basically the same effect, no?

nero1985

an Envelope Filter controlling an LFO??? wow thatd be nice

NoFi

Funny i tried powering a small Ac motor with a few of my pedals but it never worked. What motor did you use ?
Also i tried using motors instead of clipping diodes, the sound is very faint but it changes if i turn the motor by hand and if i turn it fast the guitar sounds like a chainsaw  lol.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: nero1985 on April 11, 2006, 12:19:13 PM
an Envelope Filter controlling an LFO??? wow thatd be nice
In my experience, it posibly sounds a better idea than it is.
The problem I found, was that LFOs are only useful over a small range.and if you add to this, the natural volume changes whil playing..
What MIGHT be more useful, is a LFO that is triggered when a note is struck, and the freq of it varies according to an envelope generator that triggers at the same time.
But don't let me stop you, others have built LFOs driven by the envelope foller & been happy!