Resistor Carbon Comp X Resistor Metal Film.

Started by ANDYEFFECT, April 11, 2006, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANDYEFFECT

:icon_question:

Resistor Carbon Comp X Resistor Metal Film. 

I would like to know to Real truth on setting up effects with carbon resistor and of resistor film metal. 

Do a lot of people say that carbon comp makes a sound a little more vintage, while film metal resistor the sound less noise, is that true? 

what does in the sound happen when setting up a TS-808 with resistor of carbon comp and resistor of film metal? 
Which the advantages and disadvantages of each? 
thankful.

obs: do I want anybody to know it already set up some pedal?  does some difference exist?

brad

Carbon comp WILL NOT make your pedals sound "vintage".  They will only add noise.

In my opinion, the only reason why you'd use them in a pedal is because they look pretty.

R.G.

Read the Real Truth about carbon comp at GEO -

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

As Brad says - simply using a carbon composition resistor will NOT make your pedal sound vintage, or brown, or any other advertising copy words.

There is one possible exception - if you think that added hiss sounds vintage, it may well do that.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RedHouse

Sure CC will make your pedal sound more vintage ...just crappy vintage.

JHS

CCs are warmer and middier sounding and produce some distortion. If you use 2W Allan Bradley CCs noise is not that big problem.
A complete OD with CC is muddy and noisy, but 1 or 2 CC-Rs in the output RC-network can warm up a cold, harsh sounding OD.

JHS

JimRayden

Quote from: JHS on April 11, 2006, 01:18:30 PM
A complete OD with CC is muddy and noisy, but 1 or 2 CC-Rs in the output RC-network can warm up a cold, harsh sounding OD.

Of course, didn't you all know that carbon has a higher resistance for odd-order harmonics and a quite low for even order. And vice versa when one end is connected to ground. That's why they sound exactly like KT66 output valves.

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

LoL, resist. ;D

-----------
Jimbo

Roobin

I've built using all Carbon Comp... it's not very nice. All hissy, even for a very low gain effect (Bluesbreaker). I'm tempted to re-do it with metal film, possibly 1% tollerance.

R.G.

QuoteCCs are warmer and middier sounding and produce some distortion. If you use 2W Allan Bradley CCs noise is not that big problem.
If you mean that CC resistors have a different frequency response ("warmer and middier") then the numbers do not bear that out. CCs used to be used for RF load resistors, where their lack of variation with frequency was valued. As nearly as my instruments and my ears tell me, CCs do not in and of themselves have an effect on frequency response that would support the "warmer and middier" claim. Perhaps you mean that older tube amps which have CCs in them sound warmer and middier. That is true, but the presence of CCs is not what does that.
QuoteA complete OD with CC is muddy and noisy, but 1 or 2 CC-Rs in the output RC-network can warm up a cold, harsh sounding OD.
My experience does not support that. CC may well make any circuit noisier, as it is well documented that CC has excess noise above the thermal noise of the resistor ( I can point you to som references for that) but a CC or two have never in my experience warmed up any cold, harsh sounding circuit unless other changes than the CC were made.

Give a read to the article about carbon comps at GEO. The CC soft distortion is real, but in the small signal and voltage levels of effects, the distortion is inaudibly small.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

chunks717

+/-20% tolerance anyone?(beware the 3 band resistors)

Unbeliever

Quote from: JHS on April 11, 2006, 01:18:30 PM
CCs are warmer and middier sounding and produce some distortion. If you use 2W Allan Bradley CCs noise is not that big problem.

Be warned, ANDYEFFECT! This is a good example of the b/s surrounding carbon resistors.  :)

brad

Perhaps CCs just make pedals look vintage, so therefore people's ears think they sound vintage.

The colours pedals are painted even have a weird effect on how you hear the sound in my opinion. 

jonathan perez

carbon comp resistors smell funnier than metal film when you burn them.  :icon_cool:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...