Latching Relay Question

Started by BigLloyde, April 20, 2006, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLloyde

I want to use this relay: http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*g6ak474pst40us*&terms=g6ak-474p-st40-us&Ntt=*g6ak474pst40us*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true
Since it is latching, will it damage the relay to just us a regular stompswitch to activate it.  I know it will be a huge current drain supplying constant  power to the relay coil, but I am using an AC adapter so this isn't really an issue.
Thanks
Regards,
BigLloyde

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

RaceDriver205

Why do you want to use a relay?

Peter Snowberg

Why use a latching relay if you're not going to drive it as a latching relay?

The coil will not fry, but those relays switch by reversing the polarity of the coil which takes different wiring.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Transmogrifox

Browse the PDF's linked on this page:
www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/relay

The only one that would work with that relay you linked would be with the SPDT mechanical switch.  The CD4049 and PIC microcontroller aren't able to do enought current to trip the coil.

Do keep in mind that this is  likely to add a pop to your circuit when the relay is activated.  For these higher current relays, you may want to go to a dual-coil type and use RG's latching relay driver for the dual coil type.

Another problem I found with DC current left in the latching relay coil is significant noise.  It seems to rattle and vibrate those contacts enough to make it quite audibly noisey.  More reasons than battery drain to use the latching relay.  If you use my SPDT w/ capacitor circuitry, you'll need a much larger capacitor for the relay you are using.  It better be about 220uF.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

BigLloyde

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on April 21, 2006, 02:32:08 AM
Why do you want to use a relay?
I want to use the relay because I need a 4pole switch for a stereo true bypass.  This way I can use a relay to do the signal switching, then the remaining poles on the stompswitch for indicator LEDs. Might be better off buying a 4pole stompswitch and using the millenium bypass for the LEDs.

Quote from: Transmogrifox on April 21, 2006, 03:43:33 AM
Browse the PDF's linked on this page:
www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/relay

The only one that would work with that relay you linked would be with the SPDT mechanical switch.  The CD4049 and PIC microcontroller aren't able to do enought current to trip the coil.

Do keep in mind that this is  likely to add a pop to your circuit when the relay is activated.  For these higher current relays, you may want to go to a dual-coil type and use RG's latching relay driver for the dual coil type.

Another problem I found with DC current left in the latching relay coil is significant noise.  It seems to rattle and vibrate those contacts enough to make it quite audibly noisey.  More reasons than battery drain to use the latching relay.  If you use my SPDT w/ capacitor circuitry, you'll need a much larger capacitor for the relay you are using.  It better be about 220uF.

This is my first time trying to use a relay, sounds like I'm biting off more that I can chew :P  Thanks for all the info.
BigLloyde
Regards,
BigLloyde

Peter Snowberg

You can do it, just take it as slow as you need to.

Check out Transmogrifox's driver setup here: http://www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/switchrelay.pdf

Now since you're wanting stereo, just picture two copies of that circuit next to each other. To patch them together, you're going to want to share the LED and its current limiting resistor, the switch, and the DC blocking capacitor in series with the coils. The only component change is that DC blocking cap since you're now using two relays. I would change it to 10uF at the least, but the size required depends on the current the coils take. 100uF is probably big enough for most relays but Transmogrifox just suggested 220uF. Wire the two relay coils in parallel and there you go!  :icon_biggrin:

If you have more questions, just ask. Remember that you can do it. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

RaceDriver205

Yes, you can use a relay to do what you want to do.
But I would personally recommend you use a 4066 CMOS switch to do this. It would implement a 4pole switch much more neatly than relays. If you want to do this Ill tell you how.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on April 22, 2006, 03:59:48 AM
Yes, you can use a relay to do what you want to do.
But I would personally recommend you use a 4066 CMOS switch to do this. It would implement a 4pole switch much more neatly than relays. If you want to do this Ill tell you how.

For the price of relays, you can get much higher end analog active switches than the CD4066.  Analog devices has a chip that is worthy of high-fidelity audio.

It is likely that you could get a lower noise, lower switching 'pop' noise and better reliability from a higher quality active chip, I do understand the attraction to a bypass with truly mechanical contacts all the way through.  It gives you the peace of mind that it's as bypassed as if you had physically unplugged from the jack and ran the cable directly to the next effect.  I use relay TBP in all my pedals.  These NEC 5V DPDT relays I used actually take up less space than a CMOS active switch.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Transmogrifox on April 22, 2006, 05:21:26 AM
  These NEC 5V DPDT relays I used actually take up less space than a CMOS active switch.

Part number please! :icon_biggrin:

Transmogrifox

That's pretty trippy...it's like my post didn't post.  I could swear I had browsed to this and saw the reply I posted on the thread....

Anyway, in case it didn't go through:
*  The latching DPDT relays can be purchased from Mouser:  Part #  551-EA2-5SNJ
    5VDC single latch NEC Miniature

(quoted from:  www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/relay )

EA2-5SNJ is what is printed on the relay itself.  RG had pointed me to these relays quite a while back.  I'm grateful for the lead, and glad I took it.

trans·mog·ri·fy

puretube

Transmo...: I can confirm your post did come through - I`ve seen it.

But the latest forum-server-transition seems to have sucked up everything that has undergone changes on sunday...

see: report problems-thread