Recent multi-fx build: The Silver Machine

Started by bluesdevil, April 22, 2006, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesdevil

Just finished this one. Have been working on the circuits for months and now just got up the nerve to wire it up in the box!!!
The enclosure is a cut piece of bunker or bumper tube (?). Comes in long lengths for boat trailers, from what I understand. I was able to get sample scraps and the proper endcaps without having to buy a full length piece, luckily. It's bascially a channeled piece of rectangular tube with a curved fin like piece attached to the front..... works out great for a big sloped box.
It contains the "Slow Gear" (with added volume boost) , "Bad Stone" with a switchable caps mod for UniVibe and other phase stage variations and added volume boost circuit . Second half consists of CE-2 chorus super modded to the hilt with 6 position intensity selector (flange-chorus-delayed), vibrato and range switches plus mix control...... classic chorus sounds plus really sick and wacky effects. I really love it!!! Last on the board is the PT-80 delay....... everything sounds killer together!!
       I'm not able to make quality sound samples yet, but will add some when I have time to build a decent simulator/direct box. In the process of packing in moving and just wanted to share (brag?) with a pic or two in case I get killed or something on the way to my new home.
           I really want to give thanks to Topopiccione Electronics, Tonepad and General Guitar Gadgets for making the project files available, Sir HC for debugging the Bad Stone, the folks who discovered the mods I used and this excellent forum for inspiring/informing me to build this sick bastard in the first place.
           God bless and  goodnight Chesty where ever you are - Blues Devil
Click to enlarge:

Side gut shot with end cap removed..... a nightmare of wires!!!

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

twabelljr

Wow! Very nice job. That bumper stock makes a nice sloped enclosure. Great idea. If it sounds as good as it looks, you got yourself a very nice professional piece there!

Quotein case I get killed or something on the way to my new home

Good luck with the new home. DON'T GET KILLED :icon_exclaim:
Shine On !!!

MartyB

Toney

Great work!

That face plate looks like aluminium....hmm, how was that done?

Got me thinking about the possibilities re a DIY amp faceplate...

bluesdevil

Quote from: Toney on April 22, 2006, 08:19:46 PM

Great work!

That face plate looks like aluminium....hmm, how was that done?

Got me thinking about the possibilities re a DIY amp faceplate...

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. Thanks for posting. Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it.... at least the enclosure part of it. Will try to get those sound clips done when I settle in from the move.
   Toney: That's diamond plate, also known as Tread-Brite. Another freebie from the samples scrap heap at my brother's job.... a metal forms distributor. I put him on the look out for  stuff a while ago and I'm up to my eyeballs in different kinds of  rectangular tube, diamond plate, powder coated sheet aluminum and other stuff. Ironic that when I worked there years ago I wasn't into building stuff like this..... sheesh!!! 
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Brian Marshall

lowstar

cool, bluesdevil !

i have a question concerning your bad stone - which booster did you tack on to the end of it ? i have to put mine in a box but can´t decide about the best way to make it reach unity gain again.

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

bluesdevil

Quote from: lowstar on April 24, 2006, 04:19:32 AM
cool, bluesdevil !

i have a question concerning your bad stone - which booster did you tack on to the end of it ? i have to put mine in a box but can´t decide about the best way to make it reach unity gain again.

cheers,
lowstar

Hey Lowstar!! I posted a long reply yesterday to some some questions here, but all those posts are gone now due to server weirdness. To answer your question, I used a "Strato-Blaster" with great results. Good luck!!