Making a pedal less trebly

Started by Crawf, April 22, 2006, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawf

I recently built a Boutique Bender using the PCB i bought from GGG and it turned out spot on, no problems at all which was good for me as i`m a beginner at pedal building.The only thing is, i find it a bit too trebly for my taste even with the tone on the pedal turned way down,is it possible to make it a bit less fierce by changing some component values?,thanks again Crawf

rockgardenlove

I'd say make the tone cap or input cap a bit higher in value, but I'm just a newbie.

Processaurus

Quote from: rockgardenlove on April 22, 2006, 07:10:35 PM
I'd say make the tone cap or input cap a bit higher in value, but I'm just a newbie.

Hi, making the input cap bigger would just let more bass into the circuit.  The tone knob isn't the usual, so changing the values of its capacitors wouldn't give any high end rolloff

The easiest way to attenuate the treble, is to make the 150pF cap (C8) that goes from the volume knob wiper to ground bigger.  If you have individual sockets, you can socket the cap and try a couple.  or use clip leads and audition a couple.

I never liked the tone knob on the tonebender though, looking at the schematic I can see why, at one end you get a decent full range signal (when the wiper is on the C6 side), without any high end rolled off, and as you turn the knob up, you get more of the signal through C7, which is louder and has no bass.  I tried getting rid of the pot and disconnecting C7, and just using the output from C6.  I tried putting a BMP tone stack in there, between C6 and the volume pot, but it wasn't anything to write home about (Dear Mom and Dad, guess what happened today...).  I have a feeling the Mark Hammer Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control or Rat tone control would be perfect, because you get a variable LP filter, like a tone control on a guitar.  If you liked the thin sound when the tone control is all the way up, you could always add a switch to switch the input of the proposed tonestack between C6 and C7, and get the two extremes the original tone knob had to offer, plus all the high end rolloff you want with your newly redesigned tone knob.

brett

A capacitor across lugs 1 and 3 of the volume pot is always useful. It creates a single pole filter with the output impedance of the effect.
The right size cap could be as small as 470pF (for output Z about 100k) or as large as 0.047uF (for output Z about 1k). 

For the tonebender (Z about 10k), start with 0.0047uF, increasing the size of the capacitor if the effect is too subtle.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)