Opamp Big Muff corner

Started by Branimir, April 26, 2006, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

An update to the above. Its now painted and water slide decal applied.

This is in trade for a digitech whammy ver 4. I am trading this modified big muff and a severely modified Llama, starve + tone controls aswell as a jfet based boost front end.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Skreddy

I have two words for you: "focus."   ;)

nelson

Quote from: Skreddy on May 16, 2006, 04:26:34 PM

Mobile Phone camera....

TWO words: Digicam batteries.

Here is another TWO words, needless antagonism.

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

oldrocker

I haven't built the actual op amp BM but I did build the Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz using a TL082.  I really like it.  It has a cool fuzz distortion different from the transistor Big Muff I built and much easier to build too.  Although I'd like to add some sort of gain pot to add some adjustment.  The only problem I have with the Muff Fuzz is it's a little noisy but I think if I shield the In \ out jacks it may solve that.

Skreddy

Quote from: nelson on May 16, 2006, 04:58:27 PM
Quote from: Skreddy on May 16, 2006, 04:26:34 PM

Mobile Phone camera....

TWO words: Digicam batteries.

Here is another TWO words, needless antagonism.

:)
;D

Noplasticrobots

Wow, 3/4 of a bottle of Ouzo all to yourself? I think I should disregard all of that last post, you might not remember it in the morning.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Branimir

I'm back!

Here are some sound samples of the opamp big muff (mentioned in the first post in the thread).

This is by no means studio recording or anything, actually this is a short recording of my second band's pratice, it's just guitar and drums kick in after a few bars, so there's a nice representation of the big muff sound itself, and how it sounds when the drums kick in (no bass guitar).

I hope you don't mind!

Here it is: opamp-bigmuff.mp3 - 1min 52 sec, 1.3mb, mono 96kbps/44kHz.

Recorded using a cheap mike into an onboard soundcard, the microphone is located 1 meter away from the speaker cabinet...

Guitar is a strat type with 13-56 daddario strings - dimarzio air zone in the bridge, tuned to C, opampbigmuff (nelson's pcb) - diy orange clone (LTP phase inverter instead of concertina driving a 2xEL34pp) - diy oversized 2x12" (v30s).

Drums are 25 year old Amati - crap, at least they're not too loud  :icon_lol:

There are three different parts of the sound sample, first it's some slow strumming - two chords heh, second part is fast riffing with powerchords starting with open e (actually C, since it's tuned down), and third part is a bad excuse for soloing (no backing of course). No effects on the sample, just normalized it with cooledit.
Nothing smart in any case, but you can hear clearly how growly an opamp big muff can be, and solos sound thick.

Controls on the muff are following - distortion and level all the way, with tone at 1:30 o'clock (at 7 o'clock it's my treblest sounding position, and at 5 o'clock it's bassiest, so this tends to be toward the bassier side (I have no clue if i wired the tone pot backward so this is the best way to describe it).

I suspect that a part of this type of sound is level all the way on the muff, and since there's no master volume on the amp, it's driven almost all the way...

Sorry for a long post.
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

NoFi

Thanks for the sample !
I also have a few mp3s  here, from the owner of the big muff i repaired and photographed on page1.
I don't know what equipment he used.
http://thebin.free.fr/GC/Vilo/

It really seems the op amp big muff is favored among stoner players lol.  :)

nelson

Great sound sample!

The live mp3's on your site are good too.

Let me know when you guys manage to get to the UK, will be sure to come and see you guys.

I am in Glasgow....

There are good venues for small stoner bands in this city.

Bar fly + 13th note come to mind.

I saw Bongzilla play 13th note and Electric Wizard play Barfly here.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Yun

Mr.Nelson,

That's really groovy (your op amp BMP) .  Is "the weasel" a pauly sure (sp?) pun?

Kind of OT;  But what are the venues like there eh?  Here in The USA, Atlanta GA- there's a place called "little 5 points", it's a whole town Practically dedicated to stoner rock and perafanalia  :icon_biggrin:  . 

It's kind of wierd, i met Les Claypool at a Hippy clothing store called "psycho sisters" .  I picked out a shirt and was waiting in line and Les Walks to me, and says "Nice choice, brother" .  It turned out that i was buying the exact same shirt that he was.  Well, i'm rambling, the point is that, little 5 is THE place for stoner rock.  I was just wondering if it's like that in Glasgow....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

spudulike

Quote from: ErikMiller on April 27, 2006, 02:42:07 AMAs for the sound of different opamps, to my ears it makes such a huge difference that I still haven't found a current production dual or single that gives me the sound I want. They both make a difference. I truly wish it were otherwise because it would make my life easier. Each different brand of chip sounds different. And I've tried every current production 4558, 1458 and 741 I can get my hands on. The dual makes the biggest difference, but they both count.

Whenever I find the ones I like, I buy as many as I can.

Have you tried piggy-backing the ic's as Dave Barber suggested ?
I personally like a TL072 with a NE5532 piggy-backed on top.

nelson

Quote from: Yun on June 04, 2006, 10:35:46 AM
Mr.Nelson,

That's really groovy (your op amp BMP) .  Is "the weasel" a pauly sure (sp?) pun?

Kind of OT;  But what are the venues like there eh?  Here in The USA, Atlanta GA- there's a place called "little 5 points", it's a whole town Practically dedicated to stoner rock and perafanalia  :icon_biggrin:  . 

It's kind of wierd, i met Les Claypool at a Hippy clothing store called "psycho sisters" .  I picked out a shirt and was waiting in line and Les Walks to me, and says "Nice choice, brother" .  It turned out that i was buying the exact same shirt that he was.  Well, i'm rambling, the point is that, little 5 is THE place for stoner rock.  I was just wondering if it's like that in Glasgow....

No pauly sure pun...

Glasgow is THE place to come and listen to bad europop dance ATM. Thats the biggest "scene" here. People go to clubs to see big name DJ's play records. Glasgow does have lots of good live venues but it is not a stoner mecca of any kind. Its just that whenever a band plays Scotland on a european tour they play here. Glasgow is cited as quite a few bands favourite city to play. Us Scots certainly know how to have a good time.

I hung out with both Bongzilla and Electric wizard before and after their shows. They can certainly cane it. I like going to shows where they trade band merch for pot.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

oldrocker

I'v been really thinking about building an opamp BM.  I have the schem and I keep running across it in my files and I always stop to look at it.  What's been stopping me is I just built a transistor version and I keep thinking I don't need two BM's.  But I'm really curious to hear what an opamp one sounds like.  My tranny stock BM has the Yun mod on it and it's really loud with heavy fuzz and muffing going on at certain settings.  I don't know if it sounds like a BM or creamy dreamer.  I'm going to start getting the components together for the opamp version to build one soon.