my first attempt at Crybaby Wah Modding

Started by Exactopposite, April 27, 2006, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exactopposite

Quote from: Ed G. on April 30, 2006, 09:49:04 PM
Quote from: Exactopposite on April 30, 2006, 08:33:48 PM
BUT...there is a bit of troulbe in paradise. when the effect is on the switch makes noise whenever the rocker touches it. if i do the same thing wiht the effect off there is no noise. i'm not sure what's causing that. if any of you have ideas i'd be glad to hear them.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I was fixing a friend's wah, he said it didn't wah, just got louder. I got the wah and plugged it in, and it worked, strange. But I hear some noises just by barely tapping on the casing, anything. The wah was microphonic, for lack of a better word. I went and I reheated every solder join, hoping that would do it. Then the wah just died. Acted like my friend said it did. I replaced the inductor with one I had lying around and that did it. Apparently the inductor was on the verge of dying, maybe a wire was loose somewhere and heating it up did it in, but I've never heard of that one before.

that's interesting. i'll try putting  the stock inductor in it 2moro and see if that's the difference.

*edit*
after looking around a bit online i see that it's not uncommon for inductors to be microphonic, so you may be on to something here.

Exactopposite

Quote from: petemoore on April 28, 2006, 02:47:37 AM
   It probably has MPSA18's in it.
   Lower Gainers like 2n2222, 2n2369 [good for FF, and if you're socketting the transistors anyway...], NTE123, 2n3904, 2n5088, all sound different and can influence the frequencies of the sweep.
  BC109's or BC108's had a 'unique' [to them] grind to them in my YFaseled Etc. modded Vox Wah.

mind sharing some info on the difference in the sounds of the ones your tried? i think i may as well try some. any info you ahve on the transistors would be appreciated.

Exactopposite

the yellow fasel was microphonic. even tapping on the case of the wah could be heard thru the  amp. i put the stock inductor back in and the problem went away. i'm gonna have to send this one back before i proceed with the tweaking.

Paul Marossy

Quotethe yellow fasel was microphonic. even tapping on the case of the wah could be heard thru the  amp. i put the stock inductor back in and the problem went away.

Wow, I didn't know that was possible!  :icon_eek: You learn something new every day around here.  :icon_cool:

Exactopposite

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 02, 2006, 04:57:10 PM
Quotethe yellow fasel was microphonic. even tapping on the case of the wah could be heard thru the  amp. i put the stock inductor back in and the problem went away.

Wow, I didn't know that was possible!  :icon_eek: You learn something new every day around here.  :icon_cool:

i did a google seach on it and found out that it's not uncommon. i was really suprised by it too. apparantlly some inductors are potted like pickups to prevent this. i think the area 51 inductor is potted for that reason.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Exactopposite on May 02, 2006, 06:30:24 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 02, 2006, 04:57:10 PM

i did a google seach on it and found out that it's not uncommon. i was really suprised by it too. apparantlly some inductors are potted like pickups to prevent this. i think the area 51 inductor is potted for that reason.

Very interesting.