Want to build 16 ohm Attenuator...

Started by debutvm, April 30, 2006, 10:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debutvm

Does anyone have a good schematic/wiring diagram for a 16ohm attenuator build? How hard are these to make?

cd

debutvm

Thanks for the link but these are actual products for sale..not kits.

cd

Quote from: debutvm on April 30, 2006, 10:49:48 AM
Thanks for the link but these are actual products for sale..not kits.

The kits are in the store section on the same site.

debutvm

i serously can't find them. sorry for being so damn annoying but i have looked over the site and have found nothing about the attent. kits.  :icon_cry:

Peter Snowberg

I remember something about the kits being discontinued last year. :(

If you type speaker attenuator schematic into Google, you get this as the 1st result.
http://www.amptone.com/g243.htm
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cab42

Search for Adams Amps for simple resistive attenuators. I actually posted the link here a few day's ago (The search function is your friend  ;))

I don't remember if there is values for 16 Ohm, but I think there is some formulas you ca use to calculate resistor value.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

toneman

google for "L pad"...a constant resistance attenuator.
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

vanessa

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102606&cp=2032057.2032187.2032194&allCount=14&fbn=Price%2F%2410.00+-+%2449.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00001000%2F00004999&parentPage=family

They have several versions based on watts that are less expensive. Mount this into a stomp enclosure with an 1/4" jack input and a two wire speaker cable out to a 1/4" male plug like this:

These attenuators are 8 ohms, you could add a 8 ohm heat sink resistor in series mounted to the enclosure for a 16 ohm load.

nelson

Quote from: toneman on April 30, 2006, 01:33:40 PM
google for "L pad"...a constant resistance attenuator.

What are the largest wattage L pads available?

I have only seen them up to 15w.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bancika

I think I've seen more than 15W. But you can also make L-Pad with two resistors (one in series and one in parallel with speaker).
I've put calculator for that on my site here.
Also you can make it with rotary switch with different resistors in each position for variable output
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bryantabuteau

i saw an attenuator kit listed on the weber site just now, its just in the amp kits section.

debutvm

damn, 125 bucks for the kit...Looks like i will be modifying a radio shack one soon...Would it be that hard to mod it for 16 ohm? I am a newbie at this, but hopefully i can get it and take some pics and perhaps you guys can show me what i need to do. I will post updates on my build on this thread. Also my i will be running a 100wat head into a cab for this. WIll the 100 watt  radioshack deal be an okay wattage? Also where can i get 'heat sink" resistors ? Sorry for the newbiness

-Kyle

debutvm

Sweet find. I hope this will work...Anyone have any opinions?

scotsman

debutvm

So what would i need to do ??? just solder a input jack on one lead and an output on the other? Wouldn't need powered or anything correct?

vanessa

There are quite a few people on the 18watt.com forum that can point you in the right direction. It seems the general consensus is the Rat Shack wall control sounds better than L-Pads. Some say the wall control sounds as good as the higher price Weber and THD systems. There is also a small mod that can be done to brighten it up at lower volumes (something both the L-Pad and wall suffer from) by adding a cap across the leads. If you are on a budget I would look over to that forum or similar to find your answers in regards to DIY attenuators.

debutvm

Where are the best places to get enclosures for these projects?