Latest build: Dual-booster (RM & Mosfet)---pics

Started by hairyandy, May 03, 2006, 03:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairyandy

Hey all,

Here's my latest build, a dual-booster combining a Rangemaster into the AMZ Mosfet Boost.  This combo sounds great!  I built the RM side with a .01uf Mustard input cap so it's not as much of a treble boost, and used a 25K pot for a little more oomph.  The Mosfet Boost side is pretty close to the non-buffered Torchy vero layout.  I thought this would be a convenient real-estate saver as they're easily my two favorite boosts.  You can get a ton of different variations of gain between the two of them and it sounds killer through both my 65 London combo and my '61 Blonde Bassman head.  It even sounds good through my M-Audio Black Box!   ;D 

The finish is a black transparent powder coat that I did using the Craftsman Powder Coat System.  I'm loving powder coating!  It took a little getting used to but now I can shoot a pretty good finish every time and it only takes about twenty minutes from start to finish!

Here's some pics of it:

This one is going to go to my friends in the Damnwells, a great band that you should check out if you've never heard them.

Hope you dig it!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Dragonfly

NICE BUILD...AS USUAL !

ps...i was listening to the damnwells earlier tonite :)

pss...if you havent heard them, i think you might like jason molina's band, the magnolia electric company...kinda "old neil young-ish" ...

the other andy

hairyandy

I'll have to check out Magnolia Electric Co.  I have a copy of the new Damnwells CD that is coming out this summer on Rounder (hopefully!)  They got dropped by Epic earlier this year which I think will be better for them in the long run.  Their Epic record is really good but the new one tops it IMO.

I need to tidy this pedal up.  I'm going to combine both boosts into one piece of stripboard and maybe reposition a couple things so it'll fit better next time around.

Thanks Andy!
Andy Harrison

Dragonfly

Quote from: hairyandy on May 03, 2006, 03:59:19 AM
I'll have to check out Magnolia Electric Co.  I have a copy of the new Damnwells CD that is coming out this summer on Rounder (hopefully!)  They got dropped by Epic earlier this year which I think will be better for them in the long run.  Their Epic record is really good but the new one tops it IMO.

I need to tidy this pedal up.  I'm going to combine both boosts into one piece of stripboard and maybe reposition a couple things so it'll fit better next time around.

Thanks Andy!

somewhere around here (on one of my discs) i did a layout for a RM/Mosfet dual boost on vero...i'll see if i can find it and post it in the next day or so...

andy

Ben N

Andy,
Nice work squeezing all that in.  Are the boards mounted on the pots?
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

hairyandy

Quote from: Ben N on May 03, 2006, 04:20:51 AM
Andy,
Nice work squeezing all that in.  Are the boards mounted on the pots?
Ben

Thanks Ben.  No, I put thin, fuzzy velcro on the backs of the pots and inside the back of the enclosure.  This guards against shorts and also keeps the boards sandwiched in pretty well.  I also use some pretty stiff teflon-coated wire which pretty much keeps the boards in place as well.
Andy Harrison

Dragonfly

Quote from: hairyandy on May 03, 2006, 04:31:18 AM

I put thin, fuzzy velcro on the backs of the pots ....

<assuming my best Mawell Smart voice>

Ah, the old "velcro on the pot" trick...I've heard rumours that the best pot is sticky.

hairyandy

Andy Harrison