Resounder ADT Flanger

Started by alteredsounds, May 04, 2006, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

Got this yesterday:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/e3/36/30_1_b.JPG

Yet another 'oddity' like the Dharma Phaser!
Seems to date to late '70's.  NICE sounding flanger with some odd noises in there and a stereo switch.  I'll do some 'internal' pics later.  Might be worth cloning,  nice to see some new schems about.  3 chips have thier name scratched off but I'm sure the experts in here will identify them.

Also, anyone know anything about these pedals, all info greatly welcomed!

Cheers,
Nick,

Mark Hammer

You may know this already, but "ADT" stands for "automatic double-tracking".  This is essentially a longer-delay chorus.  So, instead of sweeping from, say 6-15msec, it might sweep from 12-30msec, for a thicker sound that yielded something more like two discernible signals.

What's going on is usually just a change to the clock-range capacitor.  Any pedal that does this, however, is more than likely to have the lowpass filtering set up in anticipation of the longest delay range, rather than the shorter one, simply because twosets of filter parameters makes for a more complex and expensive pedal.  So, I'm guessing that this will provide pretty darn quiet flanging, but not exactly the crispest-sounding.

alteredsounds

Hey Mark,  I knew the ADT part but am really interested in the workings you described.  The designer seems to have taken into consideration the 'crispness' issue to some degree as the socket you can see on the fron of the pedal gives a different sound to the rear socket and this changes as you turn the middle knob through either, ADT or Flange 1 or Flange 2.  It is very quiet but the clock can be quite 'thumpy' at some settings.  Certaintly an interesting twist on some of the more standard flanges of the time.

Mark Hammer

Didn't recognize that as a jack. At first glance, especially because of location, I thought that was a stompswitch.

alteredsounds

lol I did the same when I bought it!  Its just a standard jack wired to the rotary pot.  Part of the stereo arrangement I'm guessing.  If I was to use it live I'd put it through a looper (or build a stompable clone!)