Organ Effect ~ Any Instances?

Started by Harry, May 07, 2006, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

How about an organ sounding effect? Anyone know how the Vox Organ Guitar worked?

rockgardenlove

I'll be watching this thread :)

EH's POG gives a great organ effect.

RickL

If the Vox Guitar Organ works the same way as my Guitorgan does there is no processing of the guitar sound. There is an actual organ built into the body of the guitar which is keyed by touching the guitar string to the fret. Each fret is actually six individual frets separated by a tiny insulator so touching the string to the fret just closes a switch.

Something that simulates the sound might be possible. I'd start by heavily distorting the guitar, maybe also compressing it if the distortion didn't compress the sound enough, then filtering the sound in various ways (the distortion gives you lots of harmonics to work with). Lastly add vibrato, leslie-sim and/or reverb.

aron

The EH hog is pretty darn cool for an organ effect. OTOH, just playing through a convincing leslie setup gets you closer to the vibe anyway.

Harry

QuoteIf the Vox Guitar Organ works the same way as my Guitorgan does there is no processing of the guitar sound. There is an actual organ built into the body of the guitar which is keyed by touching the guitar string to the fret. Each fret is actually six individual frets separated by a tiny insulator so touching the string to the fret just closes a switch.
I think it does work the same way. Sounds really weird. So I guess it doesn't actually process the guitar's signal as I thought.

col

In one of Penfold's books "Practical Electronic Music Effects" there is an 'Envelope Modifier' which changes the profile of the note to sound like an organ. I have done a stripboard layout for it but not built it yet. It is based on an LM13700, a CA3130 and a CA3140. Has anyone actually built this?

Col
Col

gez

The new Boss Leslie Sim (can't remember the name) sounds remarkably like an organ.  It's overkill as far as a Leslie Sim goes though, they should make a guitar sound a bit like an organ, not exactly like one.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ge_Whiz

In Chris Amelar's book "The Guitar F/X Cookbook" - which is more about extracting wierd screams, animal noises and percussive sounds from guitars than it is about pedals - Amelar includes a section called "B-3", in which he describes how to use a combination of pedals (Wah wah, distortion and flanger) to emulate a 'tone-wheel organ' sound. The Wah is half-set just to filter/resonate the guitar sound, the distortion is optional or set low, and the flanger is used to emulate a Leslie cabinet (rate ~90%, depth 95%, manual 0% and resonance 33%). The sample on the accompanying CD is (suspiciously) impressive, but owes at least as much to the clever playing style as it does to the effect. A bit of compression helps too.

I've just built my own box incorporating the Flatline compressor, a manually set Tim E. Idiot Wah (the 'resonance' switch really helps), a couple of anti-parallel Schottky diodes for distortion, and an effects loop for an old Arion flanger I bought cheap second-hand. The whole thing is a one-trick pony, but the rest of the band think it's a real good trick!

Harry

Can you want to post a sample of your creation?  :-*

MartyMart

Hmm ..... Line 6 Roto Machine  :icon_mrgreen:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com