seeking: newer LED styles

Started by ethrbunny, May 08, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethrbunny

Im looking for newer things to do with LEDs on my pedals. I have the usual colors, slow and fast blinkers that are timed for phasers and such... what is else there? I enjoy the look of custom pedals as much as anything.

Suggestions on what other things to try? note - i don't have a fancy machine shop so drilling / mounting will be something to consider.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

markm

I take it you've tried the different types of mounts huh ???
I'd like to put an LED meter onto the top of a stompbox compressor.....
I think I've seen a schem for it somewhere but forget where.
   MarkM

Processaurus

Check out these LED VU meter chips
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3915.pdf
be cool to have one hooked up to your slow LFOs, so you can monitor where in the sweep it is.

Here's a half finished thing I posted a while back to use one of those

Thinking about it, I'm paranoid that a good stomp will tear the top like a tin can, because its kinda perforated with those holse close together like that.  Might have been better to put it around a rate knob instead...

markm

I REALLY like that :icon_exclaim:
Very very cool my friend.

rockgardenlove

R.G.

You want cool LED effects?

Did you know that model train enthusiasts have a widget that makes smoke on demand by an electrical current? These smoke packs go in the stacks of the miniature locomotives and puff out smoke when you pump electricity through them. Even more than once   :icon_lol:

So if you want cool effect, take a smoke generator, put it in your effect, and put a MONDO high brightness LED underneath it so when you puff out smoke, it bottom lights the smoke.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ethrbunny

QuoteSo if you want cool effect, take a smoke generator, put it in your effect, and put a MONDO high brightness LED underneath it so when you puff out smoke, it bottom lights the smoke

LMAO. That would be too funny to watch. "The smoking fuzz-tone of death". Complete with snarling skull, red eyes and smoke.  Sort of like the 'eat me' cake in "Animal House".

I wonder how tough it would be to make a small LED look like a police car flasher. Put a mirror on the end of motor shaft canted at 45 degrees. Shine a cool color through it and start it spinning when the effect is engaged.

... heh.. then shine that through the smoke from the previous pedal.

"Who cares how badly he stinks as a soloist. Check out the tiny laser show!"
--- Dharma Desired

rockgardenlove

Haha, great idea with the smoke!

phaeton

Quote from: R.G. on May 08, 2006, 10:12:26 PM

Did you know that model train enthusiasts have a widget that makes smoke on demand by an electrical current? These smoke packs go in the stacks of the miniature locomotives and puff out smoke when you pump electricity through them. Even more than once   :icon_lol:

So if you want cool effect, take a smoke generator, put it in your effect, and put a MONDO high brightness LED underneath it so when you puff out smoke, it bottom lights the smoke.

You beat me to it.

But isn't that also an SED?  (Stench Emitting Diode)?

Of course, you can always take a pair of different color LEDs, grind half the plastic off both, and glue them together as a single, multicolored package.  right?  Or am I high?
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

LyleCaldwell

How very Ace Frehley of you, RG.   ;)
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

lchyi

Quote from: LyleCaldwell on May 09, 2006, 12:30:21 AM
How very Ace Frehley of you, RG.   ;)

ROFL exactly what's on my mind Lyle.

With the VU Meter LED, I think it'll be cool if someone draws up a Boss TU tuner style stomp. I've always wanted one of those and don't want to pay the cheddar for it.

ethrbunny

Is there a (relatively) simple way to do a 'chaser light' sort of effect? Im going to assume that there is a chip that will turn on a series of LEDs in sequence. Maybe a decade counter (I can't remember the chip #)?
--- Dharma Desired

ethrbunny

--- Dharma Desired

Quackzed

I used to put dry ice in this tin box mounted behind the top front of my cab(converted philco console radio)
so when my amp warmed up enough, smoke would slowly spew out of the front handle hole of the cab... ;D ;D ;D ;D  really easy cheesy  :D but it was funny cause i'd always get "dude, your amp!!! :icon_eek:" smokin!
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

$uperpuma

Quote from: R.G. on May 08, 2006, 10:12:26 PM

YYYEEEAAAHHH...but then tha bass player wants one...then then the singer gets jealous..... (consider it built )
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.