Fuzz in a suitcase!

Started by Mr.Huge, May 08, 2006, 09:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Huge

Oh My!

"Must I be the man in a suitcase
Is it me, the man with the stranger's FUZZ face"

http://www.wayhuge.com/fuzzface.jpg

BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

rockgardenlove

Link won't work...requires login.

aron

Nice!!!!!

How do they sound?

Mr.Huge

Quote from: rockgardenlove on May 08, 2006, 09:50:58 PM
Link won't work...requires login.

Sorry 'bout that. It's fixed now.
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

O

I believe this might be considered a dirty, fuzzy, suitcase bomb...  ;D

hairyandy

Is that a carry-on my wayward son?   :icon_razz:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

LP Hovercraft

Stunning.  :icon_eek: I wonder how fuzzy that would sound if all of them were in series with super-careful volume knob setting.

rockgardenlove

^Are they your pedals?  Because if so, you need to try that ;)

hairyandy

Did anyone else notice that the suitcase is a vintage tweed?  Nice touch Mr. Huge...
Andy Harrison

leonhendrix

Nice!!

I have to make do with these

smnm

I don't like theway the eyes seem to follow you across the room!

Mark Hammer

I can't believe no one has mentioned the "Eric Johnson" model in the lower left! I bet it sounds best of all of them.  :icon_wink:

BDuguay

I was just about to mention that Mark. I'm sure the actual size and thickness of the rubber band is crucial though.
B.

Roobin

Personally i still can't believe how much Dunlop are selling them for now. £95 for two trannies, a handful of caps, two pots and a switch? It sickens me. If customers knew what they were in for...still they have to make money somehow.

jonathan perez

im going to buy a couple fuzz faces, gut them, and put my overdrives and flangers in em...

i REALLY love the fuzz face look.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Roobin on May 09, 2006, 02:30:21 PM
Personally i still can't believe how much Dunlop are selling them for now. £95 for two trannies, a handful of caps, two pots and a switch? It sickens me. If customers knew what they were in for...still they have to make money somehow.

You forgot a few things, like:

• all the trannies you have to buy to find a pair that have the right specs
  • the labour for selecting trannies (not at Chinese rates AFAIK)
  • the labour for assembly (again, likely not at Chinese rates)
  • a custom cast chassis that is not simply an order of 10,000 from a product line where the company already makes 300,000 a year
  • packaging and shipping for a product of that size and weight
Yes, hype factors in there, as does needless advertising at the sort of rates that capucino-drinking ad people demand, but there is a whole lot of other stuff that people never think of.  Sure, there are a lot more "parts" to a Fab Metal Distortion, and it sells for $15 USD and sounds pretty good from all reports, but it wouldn't be $15 if they packed it in a cast metal chassis (as opposed to a quickie injection molded plastic one) used real pots (instead of essentially long-shaft trimpots), and took their time to select germanium devices and solder them in place.  Some things cost more because they cost more.  Once in a while you get something like the Vexter version of the Fuzz Factory, where a manufacturer says "What the hell.  I can knock off some of the fancy non-essential details, and deliver the same electronic product at a lower price point".  Or you get decisions to forfeit a feature or two and things like the Mini Q-Tron show up.  But stuff costs what it costs, and manufacturers wouldn't buy the inventory needed to assure continuity in production if they couldn't assure enough of a profit margin to make it worth their while to buy up all those Ge trannies and ask for another run of a chassis that no other manufacturer will buy or use because of trademark (so you can't sell it the way you can dump 1,538 1590Bs you bought and can't use anymore).

leonhendrix

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on May 09, 2006, 02:35:26 PM
im going to buy a couple fuzz faces, gut them, and put my overdrives and flangers in em...

i REALLY love the fuzz face look.

I did that with my modified MXR envelope filter

hairyandy

I love the "FBC" with the big, old Altec knobs Leon!
Andy Harrison

leonhendrix

The FBC is an easyvibe clone so it was supposed to say F**king big chorus-vibe but i didnt leave myself any room so i wrote Vibe on the front side.

Sadly i dont have these pedals anymore, i sold the Funk Face on ebay for a crap price only for the person who bought it off me to sell it for £100!!