News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Very quick decay

Started by Herr Masel, May 23, 2006, 02:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herr Masel

After a strech of a couple of months of not being able to bring myself to do any electronics I am starting to pick it up again. I never stopped wanting to do it, but my new incentive is the possibility of apprenticeship at a lab that fixes amplifiers and builds their own PA equipment. It hurts me to admit it, but it's hard for me to find the high levels of commitment and self-restraint it takes to build guitar effects, unlike with say music, which is much more natural for me. So having a structured (gasp) environment in which to operate would make it much easier for me.

In any case, I went back (among others) to the big daddy overdrive, with the big muff tone control that I  added and tweaked to approximate the AMZ presence control. I fixed a few problems and it now works, but the problem is that the volume is slightly lower than the bypassed signal - though that could be because of the tone control eating the signal - and the distortion is very fuzzy, with the sustain lasting maybe half a second. Above that, the tone and distortion pots don't seem to respond.

I have the bias on the drain of the transistor at 5v, and I put in a different one as well as a different opamp to be sure they aren't burnt. I hope this is enough information for someone to be able to pick up what might be the problem. I'll keep looking at it but right now I don't know.

petemoore

Quote from: Herr Masel on May 23, 2006, 02:51:26 PM
In any case, I went back (among others) to the big daddy overdrive, with the big muff tone control that I  added and tweaked to approximate the AMZ presence control. I fixed a few problems
  and it now works, but the problem >>[misnomer?]
  is that the volume is slightly lower than the bypassed signal -
  >> Doesn't sound right, I'd check opamps bias.
  though that could be because of the tone control eating the signal -
>>possible exept the below says:
   and the distortion is very fuzzy, with the "sustain lasting maybe half a second".  If it was just a volume level difference because of the TC...Tha'd be steady attenuation of whatever came in...lower volume 'everything'.     
Above that, the tone and distortion pots don't seem to respond".
  >>This isn't right, could be wiring or something, check the 'what to do when' thread at the top of the threads page.

I have the bias on the drain of the transistor at 5v, and I put in a different one as well as a different opamp to be sure they aren't burnt. I hope this is enough information for someone to be able to pick up what might be the problem. I'll keep looking at it but right now I don't know.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.