News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

'multi' fx

Started by affirmer, May 29, 2006, 08:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sta63bmx

Quote from: DuncanM on June 01, 2006, 07:26:10 AM

That's what I've just put together for myself - BSIAB with footswitchable gain pots for Lead/Rhythm channel, Orange Squeezer and minibooster for Clean Channel. Works a treat.

Did you just switch between two gain pots and leave the level pot where it was at?  Any popping issues?  Sounds awesomely useful.  What order did you put the effects in?

DuncanM

That's right, I have three switches :

Switch 1 selects either BSIAB channel or OS/minibooster channel
Switch 2 selects one or other gain pots on the BSIAB
Switch 3 brings in the minibooster after the OS

I'm currently deciding what to do about the OS - at the moment it's outside the box (I also built in a FX loop to the non-BSIAB channel) but since it improves my sound, I'm tempted to fix the output level of the OS and leave it permanently on inside the box.

I could also remove the minibooster alltogether and achieve the "same" result by switching the output pot of the OS between a fixed unity gain resistor-pair and a pot.

No popping issues. 4 different clean/dirty options at the press of a switch.

You COULD arrange it so that you switched both Gain AND Level but you'd have to double the values of the pots involved (I think).
Two BSIAB's for the price of one.........

comfortably_numb

Quote from: DuncanM on June 01, 2006, 03:17:19 PM
That's right, I have three switches :

Switch 1 selects either BSIAB channel or OS/minibooster channel
Switch 2 selects one or other gain pots on the BSIAB
Switch 3 brings in the minibooster after the OS

So do you send this to the front end of your amp, or do you bypass the preamp, using this as the preamp, and go straight into your poweramp section/return effects loop?

DuncanM

Currently, straight into the amp via a DD5 delay.

Next step, add a "dual-speed chorus & trem" (the Wobbulator), currently under construction.
Eventually, also going into the desk via a tonestack and speaker sim.... Maybe. :-\

comfortably_numb

This is a bit off topic, but since I have some expertise in the area of recording, I thought I'd comment. 

If you are doing any serious recording, PLEASE don't forgo your amp for a speaker simulator.  Nothing can really recreate the mechanical reproduction of sound through a speaker, and nothing can truely recreate the ambiance of a good room or the response of a good microphone.

Just my two cents.