News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

'multi' fx

Started by affirmer, May 29, 2006, 08:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

affirmer

Hi

Excellent forum - just joined, first post.... be gentle!

I'm approaching this from a frustrated musicians point of view rather than a buddin electronics guru. But basically, nothing exists for retail purchase that I want.

I was looking for someone to build me a bespoke pedal (can't find anyone in the UK) and came across the possibility of self build, so here goes......

Basically, I am a gigging guitarist that has his own set up which is fine but due to the type of gigs I do, I am not always able to take my set up with me.

When I am touring, I often play festivals and only have my guitar with me. The backline is provided and you get what your given amp wise (usually a Marshall JCM 800 or 900).

I need a pedal that basically has my rhythm sound, my lead sound, and a tuner in. (I'll expand later) That can be battery operated aswell (there is always problems with power supplies, either the venue doesn't have a power supply that they can provide to my feet or there is an issue with voltage (we work on a different voltage in the uk to the USA and the rest of Europe).

There is normally only a 15 minute turnaround time at gigs between bands, so there is no time for setting up racks and linking 4 boss pedals together. Also, a pedal board is not practical for touring. I need a multi fx pedal that just does what I need and that I can throw in my case, chuck on the stage, put one lead in and one lead out.

I don't mind using existing pedals and modifying them or buliding from scratch or including a pedal complete in the set up. Just want to achieve the following  really......

Here's what I want to do......

In one enclosure I want to combine:

Pedal on off for rhythm sound
Pedal on off for lead sound
Pedal on off for 1 effect (see below)
Tuner

I was wondering if it was possible to make 2 pedal effects from 2 seperate pedals into one.

For example. I need a CHORUS effect and a DELAY effect. I have a Boss CH2 and a DD3. I only use one setting for each pedal ( a bit of chorus and a bit of delay) and I need to have them both come on at the same time. Could both circuit boards be 'stuffed' into 1 pedal at their settings so I only have to click the pedal on / off?

I'm thinking either something totally bespoke or making a new enclosure that can incorporate 4 modded boss pedals (that way I get the battery option)

Am I crazy??

Cheers

d95err

This is what I would do:

1. Get the BOSS pedalboard for 6 pedals (can't remember the model number).
2. Get a BOSS pedal tuner (so you can mute while tuning)
3. Get a BOSS loop selector
4. Build a simple battery pack that has a few 9V batteries in paralell, connected to a 2.1 mm battery elimiator jack (BOSS style). Use this instead of a 9V adapter.

The 4 BOSS pedals + tuner + loop selector + battery pack will fit in the pedalboard. The loop selector has two loops that can be configured in various ways. Should be OK to get the sounds you want. When you get on stage, you simply open the pedalboard, plug in guitar and amp and you're set to play.

gez

Your circuits could be 'rehoused' and the pots replaced with either fixed value resistors or trimpots.

The problem with the battery option is you're now running 4/whatever effects from one battery, which will shorten its life if you use a standard PP3 battery. Edit: see above.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

d95err

...then again, the DIY way is of course a LOT more fun! If you use your own homemade effects rather than the run-off-the-mill BOSS stompers, your sound will be truly unique.

cbriere

do the multi effect pedals (digitech rp100 as an example)  are that bad?

affirmer

In an ideal world, I'd probably mix n match.

Would like to keep the Boss tuner intact, need 1 pedal that has the 'effect' in it. Am very interested in how to make the sound of both a chorus and delay fixed in just one pedal......

For the 2 distortion sounds (rhythm n lead) I don't mind if I make my own (sounds like fun!) or use other pedals.

I need to enclose all this in 1 'box' though (not a pedal board), it needs to fit in my bag with all my leads that goes on as hand luggage on a plane. Whilst the pedal board / Boss bcb carry case is an ideal housing solution 'electronically' it's not practical for me.

The good thing about the Boss pedal designs is that it's easy to run / change batteries. I was thinking originally of having 4 boss pedal cases (1 being the tuner that stays in tact) and the other 3 pedals being Rhythm, Lead and Effect.

The key here would be sorting the effect into 1 pedal and then housing all three in a 1 box for me to stick in the bag.

When I measured this, the 4 pedals came out a bit wide. So ideally I would have the following......

On the left a silver On/Off switch (MXR style) - Rhythm Distortion (quite heavy, for punk, bright top end, with chunky bottom for chugging / mutes, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier blended with a JCM900 at full gain) 1 Volume control / LED

Next BOSS PEDAL - House in here is my chorus / delay effect. The RATE and DEPTH of the Chorus is fixed. The DELAY TIME and the REPEAT of the DELAY effect is fixed. 2 contols, 1 for the AMOUNT of chorus effect and one for the AMOUNT of delay.

NEXT BOSS TUNER
- This stays in tact

On the right - a silver on off switch (mxr style) - lead distortion -more drive, sustain, slight volume boost, don't want it to sound weak going from rhythm to lead.

The reason for splitting the distortion pedals up is not for wiring, they can be next to each electronically, it's purely for selection. I have never been able to use the Marshall footswitches for example because the switches are too near each other and by the time I stamp down on the switch, I've usually changed to the wrong channel! I'm sure people who design stuff have never actuall played a gig!!!

Cheers for the answers so far.....

petemoore

Boss mechanics and switching don't lend themselves to being retrofitted into a multi-pedal. the EZ-best method is to go with the Boss accessories for that.
  A big box 'overhousing' for the Boss pedals is an 'oversize' option...leave all the non-true bypass Boss pedals on, then externally bypass each one, so...everything would be patch cabled inside the box [you could swap effects inside].
  To Happy RP owners this IS OT...
  Quote: "do the multi effect pedals (digitech rp100 as an example)  are that bad?"
  >>Yes, I had only an RP100 [actually I had some Boss distorters @the time, but they were 'unusable' with the digital RP]...I used that through a 50W Master Lead...other than sounding real thin and too crispy [very hard to dial 'in' the good tone and dial 'out' the digitalliness of it]...ugly IMO...and add to that 'lag times'...say if you had a longer reverb setting and hit the switch to bump to the next preset...NOTHING comes through for as long as it takes for the reverb to 'verb down' [iow long dead spots with NO GUITAR sound when switching]...made this unit VERy undesirable for stage use.
  >>No, it's not that bad, in fact has some cool sounds in it...for diddling around with it's real cool because it has a 'replica' of Ch, Flange, nice echo, etc. Octave and 'every effect', LOT-tons of options, and good for direct in recording or for getting 'amp-like' sounds out of 'something very clean' [like mixing desk, home stereo etc.] it works great.
  >>The day I got the RP it was Soooo coool...all kindsa fun, novel [to me at the time] effects available, I learned about new effects I'd not even heard of with it, hadn't noticed the 'severely detrimental to decent live show' time lag or 'undialouttable digitaliness' of it at that time.
  >>The day I got rid of that RP was a great day...going from "All That' that an RP does, to a Boss Overdrive and some other pedal made it ALot easier to work on stage, whew...{gOOd riddance to bad rubbish}..much more animated and usable Distortion Tones from the 50w became available again.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sta63bmx

I don't think that's a crazy idea.  My favorite thing about DIY is being able to go "I wanna do that, so I'm gonna do that."  I made a "two-channel tubescreamer" that worked out really well for rhythm/lead chores.  I like being able to make useful things.  I've been thinking a brown sound/compressor/booster together would be handy. 

petemoore

For instant success buy Boss.
  For no so fast...but:
tuneable to your liking
Able to be fit wherever and however you see fit
, use a breadboard or order some PCB's of your favorite or unknown circuits and build...
  If you order the boards and boxes, I'd say you could get through 1 box [or more is not unheard of] a day if you build hard.
  Building these circuits may be the easiest way to meet your goal if Boss accessory buying is undesirable.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

affirmer

The beauty is, I have no prejudices at this stage. I just want to achieve the practical solution the best way possible. Ideally, there would be a local company that make / modify pedals and I could get a bespoke one done. But as I can't find any, I'm dipping my toe into making it myself.

I must admit, without even doing it, it's exciting talking about it! I would imagine there's a great deal of satisfaction in DIY effects.

However, I'm primarily a player that needs a solution to a problem, so need to think of the best way.

In answer to the "RP100" question... I have a Boss, GT5 and a Line 6 Live XT pedal board, both are too big for what I want to do. I need a multi fx pedal that only has my sounds in that is half the size and built to be stomped on and have beer thrown over it..

Have you seen the BOSS OD 20 / CE 20? Thats the size I need, with the sounds already mentioned, mains AND battery operated. Don't care how it's achieved really!

Idea's input welcome. Plus If you're in the UK and want to build it for me then get in touch!!

All the best.

bwanasonic

Not a single pedal, but you could make a very compact setup from two Visual Sound pedals. Either the Route 66, or Jekyll & Hyde for OD, and the H2O for Chorus/ Echo. You could also use their One-Spot power supply (converts international voltage from 100V-240V). Add a small piece of plywood and some velcro, and your in business.

Kerry M

affirmer

Still got no tuner in that set up I'm afraid....

newbie builder

Find a box that is an OK size for you to carry around. Find an overdrive schematic or kit that you like. Build it. Then find a booster you like (probably wouldn't need to buy a kit for the booster- they tend to be a little simpler). Then build that. Then build a delay and chorus. Since you've just built all your effects- except tuner- and you have a box that can fit them, get out a drill and drill holes for all the pots and jacks. Then you have something that solves your problem, you've learned something, and you've had some fun and get a sense of satisfaction when a bandmate comes up after a show and asks what that great sound was and you can say you built it.
//

spudulike

SLOW DOWN A BIT

I built something fairly similar for a bass player, and it isnt that simple for a couple of reasons (not insurmountable though).

A) When you say "amount of chorus and delay" you want a wet/dry control NOT a "volume" control. Done properly this involves hacking the individual fx. You'll then need a simple op-amp mixer with slight gain to balance the sounds, as the wet/dry control hack degrades the clean signal level slightly.

B) Power. Its no use thinking of making it internally mains powered as the transformer would be big or expensive. Use a power conditioning voltage regulator like the LM317 circuits. This means you just need a wall-wart kicking out 12V, if in the US you can buy a 120V-12V/500mA wart locally dead cheap. The LM317 will handle 500mA easily.

The one I built fit in an old network hub box.

In your case I'd suggest ...

1. Rhythm Sound   =   Mark Hammer's Crank (God, I love that pedal).
2. Lead Sound   =   Dr. Boogey
3. Chorus/Delay   =   ROG Splitter-Blender
4. Tuner   =   3PDT to mute output and bring in tuner.
5. Power   =   As said, an LM317 or fixed 7805 w. zener as a regulator/conditioner.

I would recommend buying the uber-cheap Behringer chorus and delay rather than bollocksing good Boss pedals, try with these before you mod your Boss's.

Look on ebay for old soho hubs or switches/routers (they go pretty cheap) with a case the right size.

You will also find a custom job like you want will cost the earth from a pro audio house.

Dr Ron

The best pedal board I've seen was made from a suitcase. It was a nice wood case with a power supply and a bunch of pedals.
The amp builder who showed it to me might make them himself (he makes hand-wired Fender Amps from scratch).

If you're interested, let me know and I'll send his name and phone number (he's in Florida).

Also, I'm surprised that you're not using a Boss ME pedal, or similar. I've seen several guitarists using them since they get the Boss sounds.
If you're into vintage stuff, Ibanez made a multi-pedal board - a PUE5. I sold mine recently and am replacing it with separate pedals.

comfortably_numb

I saw this website the other day and immediately thought of your post.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/

This guy is basically putting four distortions in one box with all the modifications that people here do to them, plus meters to let you know what's going on.  They are all powered internally from one jack.

This may give you some insight into how you may go about your own multi-effects endeavor.  I haven't read the whole thing, but it seems to be well documented.  And when the way he puts meters in there, I'm sure you can work in a tuner.  You may even be able to leave it on all the time without effecting the signal to your amp.

jimmy54

Here's a 5-in-1 multi-effect I built a couple of months ago using a wooden enclosure purchased from a user on the forum (basicaudio).

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44113.0

blanik

i had the same problem as you, gigging in festivals on borrowed amps, (of course the venerable JCM 800 or 900 is always there, but i usually use a Twin Reverb  :icon_cry: ) i needed something fast that could do anything so i got a BOSS ME-50 used (it was cheap) and it did the job perfectly:

-it's got most boss pedals, a tuner, a volume/wha/whammy pedal in one rocking pedal
(and it works quite a long time on 6 AA batteries, wich are available everywhere)

-it's small and lightweight, 15" X 8.5" X 3" and weight around 4 pounds

-(and here's the best) you don't need to program the damm thing, it's got 3 footswitch, one for distortion/overdrive where by turning a notched pot you can select between 22 different dist. (including the classics like tubescreamer, big muff, Rat...etc) some of them sound so-so but some of the sound quite good (surprisingly for a software processing)
second footswitch is for modulation: from chorus, phaser, flanger... to vibrato
third footswitch is for delays
there's also a reverb, a noise suppressor, a compressor

Don't get me wrong, i always hated multi-effects (and i bought many in the 80s because that's what you were supposed to do  :icon_rolleyes: , but i always ended up returning them to the store, and getting back to pedals)
but this one is different, you plug it in a clean amp, crank it up a little and... well i was surprised (probably cause of all the bad memories i had of the multis...lol) you can actually turn knobs on it to change the sound... (no stupid LCD shuffling trough presets)

now i'm rebuilding my pedal board with new pedals (many home-made ones) because it still sounds better with pedals but if you're in a hurry to get something cheap that works on batteries and sound decent, i would definitively give the ME-50 a try...

R.

DuncanM

Quote from: sta63bmx on May 29, 2006, 11:48:24 AM
I've been thinking a brown sound/compressor/booster together would be handy. 

That's what I've just put together for myself - BSIAB with footswitchable gain pots for Lead/Rhythm channel, Orange Squeezer and minibooster for Clean Channel. Works a treat.

Quote from: affirmer on May 29, 2006, 12:17:25 PM
Plus If you're in the UK and want to build it for me then get in touch!!

Where are you, what timescale are you talking about and what is your budget?   ;D

tcobretti

Quote from: spudulike on May 29, 2006, 06:14:28 PM
1. Rhythm Sound   =   Mark Hammer's Crank (God, I love that pedal).

I've never seen a schematic for that.  I searched and couldn't find it.  Does anybody have a link?