Pedal Building Depression!

Started by alteredsounds, May 31, 2006, 08:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: somasix on May 31, 2006, 08:22:30 PM

If I buy any commercially produced effect again, it'll be a tape echo, other than that, I'll build it.

I would love to get into making some kind of tape echo!  I've got a univox ec-80 that looks like a good candidate for cloning, aside from the redundant tape system.  But since when has part supply been a problem for enterprising dudes like us?

I say tape echo is the way to go. If I had the know how, that's what I'd try to do.

As for pedal building depression.  I'm in one of those too! 

Recently I've just been building to pass the time!  which is no way to go about this hobby!

I've got everything I've built to work (eventually), but just aren't happy with some of the projects.  dist + left me feeling very underwhelmed, but so many people had raved about it, I just had to build one!
Try a little tenderness.

reverberation66

man, I've only been building pedals for a couple of months and I have to say that part of the reason was I couldn't afford the vintage stuff I wanted and the few modern commercial pedals I've purchased over the past few years have been disappointments.  I never really had a good fuzz or distortion pedal until I made my own, except for a mosrite fuzzrite and I sold that for a bunch of money a while back.  I built my own with some spare parts for next to nothing and it sounds great.  I've been so stoked about the way this stuff I've been making sounds, I've built a few things that there aren't really available commercially so I never would've had them if I hadn't made them.  so that's pretty freakin' cool.  It's nice to understand your gear and tweak it the way you want and craft your own sound rather than relying on some company to do it.  Plus people trip out when they see a bunch of weirdo effects that obviously aren't commercial products, it adds some mystery to what your doing :) and that's always cool....

Toney

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

burnt fingers

It's a bummer you don't dig what you've built.  I replaced my aging boss turbo OD with a DIY job I tweaked until it killed.  I never would have shelled out cash for a fuzz but I built one of those and it found a permanent home on my board.  I still have a few comercial boxes, a zoom chorus,rev thingy and a Mesa Bottle rocket but I mix and match diy with comercial.  I am planning on replacing my Dunlop trem with a smaller DIY job.  It sound's like you weren't happy with your trems so it sounds like i've got my work cut out for me.  I think for me, it's about tweaking until it sounds right.  I spent months with my overdrive, I had everything socketed except for the voltage devider resistors and I mixed and matched for a long time.  I thinkg you should keep at it but expect realistic results when you are comparing a fairly simple DIY build to a booteek pedal.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

goosonique

Thanks to this forum and people here...all my...let me say that again ALL MY DIY builds has been the best compared to countless "mojo" pedals that have come by either for repair or just the owner showing off...(and goes home disappointed ..for all that money and time for so called search for the ultimate mojo ..). Anywayz  ..get a proto board and test circuits that are available for DIY first and tweak to taste...is tha way to go !!
  Just can't believe some so called crappy stuff that gets high ratings on HC...(these people must be having GAS side effects )
  Now ... a true DIY will not...just build a clone!
Get the picture ...tweak to taste...listen to what others have to say here...  :icon_biggrin:

Btw all my boost, dirt, fuzz and a synth are DIY.... oh yeah Tremulus Lune - the best of the best ;D
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It's unfortunate that the original poster in this list made a trem, because a trem (in my opinion) is one of the HARDEST effects to make well. A trem looks simple but..... the fact is, the more whacky & extreme an effect is, the more room for error there is (who would know about distortion in a ring modulator?).
After I listened (and measured!) a Dunlop trem, I knew I wasn't going in the trem business.

gez

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on June 01, 2006, 04:06:34 AM
It's unfortunate that the original poster in this list made a trem, because a trem (in my opinion) is one of the HARDEST effects to make well. A trem looks simple but.....

I built my first trem only a year or so ago...after years of mucking about with them on breadboards!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

somasix

That Tubescreamer box sold for $122.  I'm floored. 

RDV

For better or worse my pedalboard is 100% DIY at the moment and has been for a couple of years.

In order of chain:

Vox style Wah(built from RG's article)
Thundercheif
Liquid Drive(Dist+)
Easyvibe
EA Tremolo
Dual Mosfet booster

RDV

Doug_H

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2006, 04:13:59 PM
I think most people are honest enough with themselves to admit that even an expensive purchase wasn't what they hoped it would be. I could equally say that people who don't have expensive boutique pedals think that the expensive boutique pedals had by others who have the money sound bad. :) Certainly, just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it will sound 'better', in fact at a higher price boutique pedals should be held to a higher 'standard', especially for non-subjective things such as build quality, parts quality and so on.

I'm not sure what people here consider "expensive". For me, $200 for an overdrive or fuzz is expensive, which is pretty much the going rate for boutique gear (although some of the prices appear to be coming down further).

Over the years, I've come to a couple conclusions though:

First, a lot of the DIY circuits that get developed/shared here would demand at least the "going rate" if they were developed into products, IMO. So for me, the stuff we build would be fairly expensive if it was sold as a "product". I've heard some of the boutique gear and it's nice but IMO does not necessarily distinguish itself from some of the things done here. Depends on what it is. Generally, I think sound/tonewise it's anyone's game. I don't find that the boutique or DIY stuff automatically sounds better or worse. It's a very mixed bag.

Second, taking a pedal and developing it into a product - where you are going to reproduce it and build 500 widgets a month, with attention to detail of fit & finish, ruggedness, reliability, sourcing parts, etc is hard work.  It's a different game than building a one-off for yourself. As a hobbyist you can cut corners in areas that are not important to you or for work you find tedious. But if you are trying to sell a product, you can't cut corners on anything. So although I may not be able to afford to throw around at least $200 a pop on overdrives, I believe most of those boutique boxes are worth every penny. And for some folks like Dave Barber for example, who are selling some very nice gear for much less, I honestly don't understand how they are doing it.

As for people who are unhappy with their builds, time to haul out my mantra about breadboarding again... Don't even warm up your soldering iron until you have breadboarded your project  and tuned it to your satisfaction first. And if you build something you thought you liked, only to hear a commercial piece later that you like better - consider that a learning experience. Try to figure out why the other piece sounds better, the ideas behind it, and move on. I have some old builds that I don't think sound so hot anymore, but I learned from them and moved on. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn as you go, that's part of what it's all about here.

Doug

sta63bmx

This may sound pathetic, but I started building DIY effects because I couldn't afford to buy effects in the store.  On top of that plastic boxes and cheapo contact switches piss me off.  The only piece of gear (if you wanna call it that) I had for about ten years was a TS-5.  Good tube amps and a couple decent guitars from before I was married, and that's about it.  Then my TS-5 broke and I had to fix it.  I took it apart and rewired it in a sturdy box with a real Carling momentary switch.  While doing that project, I ran across the online DIY community for the first time.  And I realized that hey, I can build most of the stuff I want!  So I got together enough money to buy one "regular" pedal in the store and built about five in metal stud enclosures.  I've traded for pickups and a new crybaby, as well as selling some extra stuff for parts cost.  So I'm not out more than about $150 so far and I've got a bunch of useful pedals and other good stuff.

I have finally got to the point where I have enough parts lying around that I don't need to order as much to make pedals.  I'm sure some store-bought pedals might sound nicer than my clones, but I can't justify spending $170 on a TS-808 reissue when I could make five of them in nicer boxes with heavier-duty parts for the same amount of money.  Maybe I'm too cheap.  I just can't justify spending the money.  You could probably buy a TS-5 on ebay for about what it'd cost to build a TS-808 clone.  And it would be in a plastic box, etc. leading to the same eventual demise.

David

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on May 31, 2006, 06:59:26 PM
Quote from: David on May 31, 2006, 03:33:38 PM
Hey, Ge!

Care to dish about that thar Hammond emulator?

Yes, I do. Trouble is, I don't have time to organize links to photos and sound samples at the moment. But RSN...

I'd settle for a schematic...   :icon_mrgreen:

oldrocker

I'm very new to this forum and building stomps.  OK OK so yes I am addicted to building effects.  I own a DOD G7 rack mount guitar effects pre-amp which I've been using for years.  It's great for tweaking your sound.  But I've trying for a certain overdriven dist that I used in the '70's and on the G7 got close.  On only my second simple DIY project (WA LA!!!) there it was exactly what I was looking for.  Since then I've built 7 or 8 DIY's and achieved more great distortion boxes with the bonus of a fun learning experience.  I've put my G7 away for a while and am now strictly playing using my DIY's.  When people ask where did U get that magic box I say "Oh it's just an effect that I put together myself."  They walk away saying "That guy knows his sh*t."  I don't mention they could do it themselves with an Internet connection.
My latest build was the TS-808 and I have to say it ROCKS.  I built it for about $5.00.   Better than bidding on it for $166.00 on Ebay.
Hmm now what should I build next?

tcobretti

I exclusively play diy pedals.  I currently bounce around between -

Axis Fuzz
Fuzz Face
Bazz Fuzz
Brian May Treble Booster
modded Crybaby
Ampeg Scrambler

I've built others, but these are currently at the top of the pile.  As you see, I don't play modulating effects or delays, so it's easy to stay DIY.  I'm probly gonna build a Neovibe in the near future, so we'll so how that goes.

petemoore

I don't really see the 'difference'...other than schematic derviations and parts tolerances, which can be' in DIY or bought product, I believe there is none.
 whether a circuit was slapped together SMT Style by a computer or hand soldered into a chunk of wood, as long as all the IC's, and other component values are the 'same'...what's the difference...none, Foxx Tone Machine and French Toast share schemata, are WaYY different in construction and component size as well as PCB size, and reports from those Looking for an identifiable 'difference' are that there really are None.
 What IS different is that the DIY-er can choose what to make different [hopefully the DIYer makes good ones].
 IMCase, I have a Tonecore Echo Park, and a 7Band Eq as my two 'commercial holdouts'. I chose these to buy, the EP of course is as yet 'impossible' to clone and comes in a powerful, nice tight package, the Eq although I *Could DIY something [actually I did up a ROG eq, but like the slots/slider adjustments etc. on the EQ700.
 All the Fuzzes Boosts and OD's are DIY. Nothing you'll see an exact schematic of, [they are mostly derivitave designs of course, with a couple 'twists'], each pedalboard posistion is 'earned', A/b testing decides what gets a PB position.
 3 transistor, 2 stage Fuzzbox w/- and + feedback loops, a switch on each gain stage...ie it's a booster/Fuzz/Fuzzbooster...#1 dirtbox on board.
 3 Transistor 2 stage Fuzzbox, 1rst stage is Jfet, 2nd stage is Ge NPN FF, 3 knob/two 3pdt, 1 bass rolloff switch...is the 'other' #1 [these two are 'first string'].
 Phase 90 [uni-phase caps mod] .. or SS w/Uni mods .. or EZ Vibe, these work great.
 TS type thang, w/Orange Squeezer in front...does the TS/Boost/OD thing to my preferences...this one showed the most 'staying power', after being A/B tested over time with ALOT of TS type builds and *buys testing..., *Blues Breaker, Blues Breaker clone, *SD-1, SD-1 clone, derivitave TS's..it represents 'my version' of TS technology [or Opamp feedback loop clipper tech].
 Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2006, 03:13:59 PM
I think most people are honest enough with themselves to admit that even an expensive purchase wasn't what they hoped it would be. I could equally say that people who don't have expensive boutique pedals think that the expensive boutique pedals had by others who have the money sound bad.  Certainly, just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it will sound 'better', in fact at a higher price boutique pedals should be held to a higher 'standard', especially for non-subjective things such as build quality, parts quality and so on.

I'm not sure what people here consider "expensive". For me, $200 for an overdrive or fuzz is expensive, which is pretty much the going rate for boutique gear (although some of the prices appear to be coming down further).

Over the years, I've come to a couple conclusions though:

First, a lot of the DIY circuits that get developed/shared here would demand at least the "going rate" if they were developed into products, IMO. So for me, the stuff we build would be fairly expensive if it was sold as a "product". I've heard some of the boutique gear and it's nice but IMO does not necessarily distinguish itself from some of the things done here. Depends on what it is. Generally, I think sound/tonewise it's anyone's game. I don't find that the boutique or DIY stuff automatically sounds better or worse. It's a very mixed bag.

Second, taking a pedal and developing it into a product - where you are going to reproduce it and build 500 widgets a month, with attention to detail of fit & finish, ruggedness, reliability, sourcing parts, etc is hard work.  It's a different game than building a one-off for yourself. As a hobbyist you can cut corners in areas that are not important to you or for work you find tedious. But if you are trying to sell a product, you can't cut corners on anything. So although I may not be able to afford to throw around at least $200 a pop on overdrives, I believe most of those boutique boxes are worth every penny. And for some folks like Dave Barber for example, who are selling some very nice gear for much less, I honestly don't understand how they are doing it.

As for people who are unhappy with their builds, time to haul out my mantra about breadboarding again... Don't even warm up your soldering iron until you have breadboarded your project  and tuned it to your satisfaction first.
 Speaking vicariously, and as one with PILES of used, scrap perfboard builds...breadboarding makes lotsa sense if you're going to even build 'a' pedal.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Doug_H

Quote from: petemoore on June 01, 2006, 10:54:57 AM
TS type thang, w/Orange Squeezer in front...does the TS/Boost/OD thing to my preferences...

Pete, that sounds like a really interesting idea, driving a TS with an OS. I bet that sounds really nice.

Doug

petemoore

RG wrote:
  "So - the Fuzz Face is a fortuitous combination of circuits that combine initial soft clipping with asymetrical clipping that changes toward symetrical clipping under drive. It's easy to build, easy to modify, and has a very wide range of tones possible. This thing offers what I consider the most bang for the buck for the enterprising effects hacker. Dig in.... see what magic you can wring out of it."
  This particular circuit makes great sense for the DIY-er, since it's fairly well agreed that the circuit has to be 'built around' the transistors used / what you want it to do', is highly modifyable, and simple for all it offers. it isn't a circuit that lends itself to mass production like opamp, BMP, Si and most other Dist type circuits. Todays market makes them a 'very comparable' option [instead of DIYing] for simply purchasing...the finished units can be tried out and compared, and differences between one unit of same type as the next will tend to be small, and those differences may be further be adjusted out, especially if it's a 3 knob [or more] circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

oldrocker

I really don't think there is anything to be depressed about.  The only way to find out if you like the sound of DIY's is to build them.  If the temolos you built work then you can be proud of your success.  If something you buy at the store sounds better then (use it.)  You still have the knowledge and experience you gained from building your own to say "Hey I've done that."  And if you don't like what you've built just don't build anymore.  Move on.  Nothing depressing about any of that.  It's just a learning experience.  For those like me that don't really have the money to try and buy the latest and greatest equipment on the market,  these builds at least for me are economical and functional.  True not all the effects I built work as I would like them to but I can still tweak and mod them at a later time.
So to quote someone we all know "Don't worry be happy." :D