SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DIY DS-1 schematic

Started by MartyMart, June 01, 2006, 07:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Schematic here in layouts gallery :

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/BossDS1_edit?full=1

I just completed a marathon 3&1/2 hr DS-1 clone, which I have to say is sounding very
nice indeed !
I Ignored the switching and had to link the tone/volume pots in a different way, tone wiper out
to vol pot lug 3, vol wiper to final transistor and vol lug 1 to ground.
I used a Burr Brown OPA2134 ic and front and back I have MPSA13 darlington transistors, this may
be a little "hot" but seems to cause no problems.
I have not done any of the classic "mods" as yet, other than using a pair of red LED's for diodes.
The tone pot doesn't have any of the originals "shrill" sound on this one and seems more like a
bass boost when turned CCW and bass cut when turned CW, with slight high end lift, a great mistake :D
My circuit begins at C3= 47n ( Phillip Bryant's schem ) with 2m2 to ground infront and continues "like for like"
from there until the volume pot.
Just before the final MPSA13 from vol pot lug 2 I have a 1M from 4.5v but as yet no cap ... perhaps I need the
47n cap here as a DC blocker, but again, dont have a problem with it, nor any noise/hum at all.
I need two 100kB Linear pots, as both gain/vol require these to avoid "lumpy" and "bunched up" settings.

Was it worth it ?
Well I say yes, it wasn't too difficult and it sounds great, if a little different from the stock unit.
I could do with removing some low end and possibly bias the transistors slightly better, but once I
have those linear pots, I'm sure it will be sounding dandy :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyMart

As I thought, the final 1uf cap needed reducing, 0.1uf sounds much nicer here, now
all the "woof" has gone and it makes a much better "all rounder" pedal now.
The 22 Ohm from Q1 is making a totally clean tone impossible, with an 820 Ohm the
clean sound is very sweet, but top end of distotion is lost, so I think I'll go with perhaps
a 220-470 ohm here and a slightly larger gain pot, I have a 250KB somewhere .....
I probably shouldn't be using MPSA13's ! may back them off to "Keens second law" and use
2N5088's

Still tweakin'  !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Roobin

Sounds cool! Is that the Tonepad one? I'm thinking of maybe doing one in the summer...

MartyMart

No, it's one that I made on stripboard, it's about 2.5cm X 7cm so will fit a 1590BB box.
Could be a bit smaller, but not much !

MM.

Roobin

Sorry, I meant the schematic. I've found the Tonepad one and another one for Godikssen (??) -its the service sheets.

Noise wise, how is it? I mean, obviously it will be a bit noisy, becaus eof all the gain, but how does it compare to other pedals?

MartyMart

Schematic posted above and here too :

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/BossDS1_edit?full=1

Please respond if any errors are found.
This was originally Phillip Bryants drawing, if you would rather not have this posted then just let me
know Phillip .

Marty.

Phorhas

Well, here only a suggestion -
The input impedance is less than 100Kohm, so you can lower the pull-down resistor to 1M without any problem - this with quite the DS-1 further.

2c...

:)
Electron Pusher