Built In Distortion For Bass

Started by InFlame00, June 05, 2006, 04:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InFlame00

Hello. I've got an Ibanez GSR200...the electrics (the active EQ) brooke down so I had the whole thing removed.
The bass right now only got an ordinary setup, 2 reactive pick ups, 1 tone and 2 volume.
As I'm left with a hole in the body where the pot for the EQ was i'm now thinking about putting just a regular switch (on/off) in the hole.
The switch is planned to controll a basic groundshaking distortion, doesn't have to sound supergreat aslong as it's brutal as @#$% :D.
My question is, how can I creat a simple distortion unit, controlled with just a on/off switch.
When the switch is in the Off-mode I wan't the bass to function just as a regular bass.

I've got a "cave" where the battery for the old EQ was so the power supply for the distunit won't be hard to fix.
Basicly I just need a partslist and a wiring diagram for a bass-distortion unit.

Bernardduur

The Bazz Fuss can be pretty awesome on bass, is small and only needs an on / off switch (make other controls trimpots).
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

InFlame00

Quote from: Bernardduur on June 05, 2006, 05:37:39 AM
The Bazz Fuss can be pretty awesome on bass, is small and only needs an on / off switch (make other controls trimpots).

Where can I find a diagram for that then?

syndromet

Bazz fuss at www.home-wrecker.com
Great sounding fuzz!! you could make a blend pot to blend the clean signal with the distorted. that would be cool.
My bazz fuss have no controllls at all. It's either on or of. Soundclipp here www.syndromet.com/sounds/fuzztration.mp3
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

InFlame00

Ok, looks like it's worth a try...when you're not using the last pot...shall I put another resitance instead for the pot or shall I just let it be and go directly from the last cap into the outoput?

Bernardduur

Nice clip; love those square waves in my winamp window

InFlame00

Hehe, i sounded like shit. I won't build somthing inside the bass, from now I'll just stick to pedals :D

Are there any pedals you can recomend for bassguitars? (that I can build on my own ofcourse)

InFlame00

Hehehe, my amp died right now because of the bazz fuss. Can't play anything through it anymore.

Bernardduur

Wow....... (happened to me once too!!)

I can highly recommend the ROG Flipster; I am in love with that pedal.

Or a modded BIg Muff

InFlame00

Where can I find the schematics for thoose then?
a Big Muff modded in what way?
Do you play bass through 'em?

Bernardduur

Yep, I am a bass player; see my pedalboard on some other thread here on bass playing......

Schematic for the Flipster is on Run Off Groove.

My Big Muff I use for bass:
- Removed first pair of diodes.
- Replaced the 3.9nF cap with a 100nF cap.

InFlame00

Ok, what changes in sound will removing the first pair of diods do?
What schematic did you use for your big muff? I can't find any 3.9nF cap in this one http://www.montagar.com/~patj/bigmufpi.gif

And btw, have you got any soundclip from your BM?

Seljer

3.9nF = 4nF one next to the tone control in the one you posted

there have been many many variations among the different models of BMPs

InFlame00

Ok, I start to bleave that too :D
What version of the BM shall I go for then? Are there any other version of the schematic than the one I posted that are better for bassguitars?

Bernardduur

I tried a lot of different Muffs........... NYC, Green, Black, Triangle etc.....

The best is the Black or the Green Russian Big Muff.... I don't know why but I just like the tone of this one..... and with the mid-boost every Big Muff sounds great!

InFlame00

Aren't there any scheme for the perfekt bass BM? :(

Bernardduur

No

I should go with a Russian Muff with the first pair of diodes lifted and a mid boost; worked for me........

I also like the Acoustic Fuzz (from the Acoustic 360 heads)..... am trying to get one to work right now

InFlame00

I don't want to buy any BM, because no musicstore around here got one in...I have to build it from scratch...I don't wanna be a pain in the ass but if you check the link some posts ago...what shall be done to that scheme to make it work good enought for a simple thrashing bassplayer like me? :D

Bernardduur

This schematic + remove first two diodes and replace 3.9nF with 100nF cap (or a bit less; 100nF give a huge mid boost I love)

InFlame00

Alright! Thanku very much!

Shall I use the 1N914? And shall I follow the recomendations for the caps at the bottom of the picture?
And what diods do you recomend?