Built In Distortion For Bass

Started by InFlame00, June 05, 2006, 04:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seljer

The Tonepad project has got 3 different versions of the thing listed: http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=3

syndromet

The Bass Fuzz blew your amp??? WOW!!! The fetzer valve did the same to mine. Got it working again?

I guess the BM with mods would sound cool, But nothing beats the Bass Fuzz for cruelty in my oppinion.
Good luck, and I hope you get what you are wishing for. I bet you'll get addicted to building, and end up with a pedalboard twice the size of any guitarist!
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

InFlame00

Quote from: syndromet on June 08, 2006, 05:16:10 PM
The Bass Fuzz blew your amp??? WOW!!! The fetzer valve did the same to mine. Got it working again?

I guess the BM with mods would sound cool, But nothing beats the Bass Fuzz for cruelty in my oppinion.
Good luck, and I hope you get what you are wishing for. I bet you'll get addicted to building, and end up with a pedalboard twice the size of any guitarist!

No, I haven't got it working again, piece of shit...I'm thinking about getting somekind of externel fuse before trying something else on a more expensive amp...

Oh yeah, I'm getting addicted to building, it's really fun and this board is great especally as I am a beginner.

syndromet

Quote from: InFlame00 on June 08, 2006, 05:20:25 PM

No, I haven't got it working again, piece of shit...I'm thinking about getting somekind of externel fuse before trying something else on a more expensive amp...

Oh yeah, I'm getting addicted to building, it's really fun and this board is great especally as I am a beginner.

I know what you mean. I posted my first post 6 months ago, and look at me now!! Learning new stuff everyday, and I'm allready able to blow up other peoples amps!!!

Did you open the amp to see what might have failed? I opened mine and found a melted resistor. Could be an obvious mistake in yours too.

InFlame00

Quote from: syndromet on June 08, 2006, 05:25:13 PM

I know what you mean. I posted my first post 6 months ago, and look at me now!! Learning new stuff everyday, and I'm allready able to blow up other peoples amps!!!

Did you open the amp to see what might have failed? I opened mine and found a melted resistor. Could be an obvious mistake in yours too.

I'll try to open it tomorrow, having a day off from work. It's about 1000 screws before I can open it hehe. Anyway, ever thought about an external fuse for trying out new pedal ideas?

syndromet

Quote from: InFlame00 on June 08, 2006, 05:28:44 PM

I'll try to open it tomorrow, having a day off from work. It's about 1000 screws before I can open it hehe. Anyway, ever thought about an external fuse for trying out new pedal ideas?
Nah. I'd be happy if my amp blew, actually. Then my girl would let me buy a madamp!!! But the fuse thing is a good idea. Just make an external fuse-box. I might just steal your idea, make those boxes and sell them on ebay for 100$!

InFlame00

Quote from: syndromet on June 08, 2006, 05:31:15 PM

Nah. I'd be happy if my amp blew, actually. Then my girl would let me buy a madamp!!! But the fuse thing is a good idea. Just make an external fuse-box. I might just steal your idea, make those boxes and sell them on ebay for 100$!

Damnit, I should have been quiet :(

syndromet

Quote from: InFlame00 on June 08, 2006, 05:35:15 PM
Quote from: syndromet on June 08, 2006, 05:31:15 PM

Damnit, I should have been quiet :(
Don't worry, I'm too lazy anyway....

Bernardduur

The caps mentioned down were for the original Big Muff that the schematic was based about; the Russian version are the values in the boxes.

Just use Si diodes; I always use 1N4148's. Germanium give me too much bass (muddy).
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

InFlame00

Quote from: Bernardduur on June 08, 2006, 05:39:59 PM
The caps mentioned down were for the original Big Muff that the schematic was based about; the Russian version are the values in the boxes.

Just use Si diodes; I always use 1N4148's. Germanium give me too much bass (muddy).

They also recomend any high gain NPN transistor, any recomendations?
What difference does taking thoose 2 first diods off make?

Bernardduur

Just use 2N5088's

Removing the diodes give you less clipping and a much better bass response. What you can do (as I did with mine) is add a simple DPDT switch with a mid position to switch in the diodes (place A), switch in other diodes (place B) and remove the diodes (mid position)

tcobretti

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems perfect for an in-the-bass distortion.  Apparently you just take two schottky diodes (or some people say Ge diodes will work too), face them in oppostie directions, and replace the capacitor on your tone knob with the diode pair.

BTW, the image is from http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/blackice.htm

syndromet

Quote from: tcobretti on June 09, 2006, 03:20:36 AM

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems perfect for an in-the-bass distortion.  Apparently you just take two schottky diodes (or some people say Ge diodes will work too), face them in oppostie directions, and replace the capacitor on your tone knob with the diode pair.

BTW, the image is from http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/blackice.htm

I tried this on my guitar, but the signal lvel wa to low to make the diodes clipp enough. I had a very, very low clipping, bearly noticeable, so I found a bette use or the pot.

InFlame00

Newbiequestion: What exactly do you mean with the word "clipping"

Bernardduur

Clipping is the chopping off of the tops of the wave; the same thing happens when an amp is distorting;

Does this work btw on bass? I thought it was designed for guitar and didn't impress too much people

InFlame00

Quote from: Bernardduur on June 09, 2006, 05:26:04 AM
Clipping is the chopping off of the tops of the wave; the same thing happens when an amp is distorting;

But you said that removing the diodes would make it less clipping and better bass response, If the diodes cut the tops of the waves wouldn't the high Hz be removed and removing diods would result in even more high signals?