TSP Tube Screamer Mods?

Started by Headbuttking2, June 06, 2006, 08:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headbuttking2

Anyone know what is done to the TS9 in the silver mod?
Like what is exchanged in the pedal?

JJ

From his website:

"Keeley modified TS9
When I modify a TS9 I start with a brand new unit.  The pedal is tested before and after the mod to make sure there are no problems with the unit.  I have found a couple of loose wires in some new units.  I change the IC to RC4558P.  This is what came in the earliest TS808's so I try to make this section as close to the original as possible.  The TI RC4558P is a VERY sweet sounding IC, very smooth distortion, not at all harsh.  I change the two resistors in the output section.  These resistors are changed to the same values that are in an original TS808.  The resistors were chosen in the TS808 to drive the input of a tube triode.  In the TS9 they were changed to reflect the fact that people were driving transistor amps more often.  I do not use carbon composition resistors here.  The reason I don't anymore  is two fold.  First, the drift in value and are not a tight tolerance part  Changes to carbon composition in the output and particularly the BROWN mod (1K ohm values around the opamp) will make each pedal sound different.  Generally these resistors are higher in actual value so the BROWN mod will actually make your pedal sound dull.  Because of the spacing of the material of the carbon composition they have a reactance (plus a resistance) to guitar signals.  This may explain the less high-fidelty tone that people describe as well as the increase in noise you get with a "brown" or "silver" mod (which by the way is just the 2nd mode of a TS9DX.  2 diodes in each direction for the clipping circuit, save yourself some money if you are after the silver, get a TS9DX and we will install the nicer caps for you.. 
Next, I change the capacitor that is connected to pin two of the op-amp.  This cap changes the frequency response of the feedback loop.  I change it to the next standard value (0.1uF metal film).  I have had only a few customers say that it caused too much bass in there system system.  Otherwise, everyone else has been happy with the flat frequency response this cap creates.  I like it myself.  It is not a bass boost, it is just changed to even out the response.  Most people complain about the bass loss when they engage a stock TS9.
After that I change two resistor in the drive circuit (51K--> 20K metal film and the 4.7K--> 2.4K metal film).  I change the values so that you have more distortion (about twice as much) as you turn the drive control clockwise and less distortion at the counterclockwise position of the drive control.  This has the effect of pleasing both crowds of people.  It has less overdrive in the low position and more distortion in the high position.  Throughout the middle of the drive control it is possible to get every stock TS9 drive sound.  This is really cool.
We also change the coupling caps from the NP electronlytics to the very nice Panasonic Metal film.  This is part of our Standard 808 MOD PLUS.  We also change the tone control cap to metal film so that the circuit is as hi-fi as possible.
Lastly, I check the unit out again.  We resolder the DC jack so that there is little chance for it to go out (a common failure in older well-used units). I check the unit for loose guitar jacks.  I pack the unit in bubble wrap to make sure there is no damage on its way to you!"

twabelljr

Shine On !!!

dano12

If you haven't done so already, read R.G. Keen's "The Technology of the Tube Screamer". It is a pretty deep analysis of how the circuit works, the different TS variations and mods:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

I've been working on a TS with switchable mods that illustrates most of the common mods. May be some help to you:
http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/ScreamerLab/

Headbuttking2

Trey Anastasio uses 2 ibanez Silver Modded (by analog man) TS-9s

I just wanted to know how I can do it myself instead of paying like $50 bux to switch some parts around.