An idea to hold the pcbs

Started by Gilles C, June 09, 2006, 09:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

I don't think I remember seeing this suggestion before, so I though I could mention it.

This is the method I began to use to hold the pcbs in the Hammond boxes. I used this method a few times before, but kind of just started to use it again, now that I started using stripboards again. Not that it can't be used with real pcbs, but it's just that stripboards reminded me of that method...

As seen on the photos, I use 2 or more "self adhesive tie wrap holders" depending on the size of the pcb to keep them from moving inside the box.

With a dremel and the miniature round cutter (it looks like a saw) they normally give with it, I make a slot between 2 holes each side of the pcb. I can then feed the tie wraps into the holders and into these slots. I normally glue the holders in the box first, but for the photo, I tied everything together before gluing that inside the box.

The nice thing about this method is that you can just cut the tie wraps if you want to work on the pcb again, and use new ones to put it back into the box.

Here are the first 3 photos in a larger format:
http://www.gtechblues.com/images/Hold1.jpg
http://www.gtechblues.com/images/Hold2.jpg
http://www.gtechblues.com/images/Hold3.jpg

Btw, this is a guitar buffer that I am installing in a switchbox:

Gilles

$uperpuma

looks good mang...one of those "how did I not think of that before??!" things... nice and solid.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Paul Marossy

zjokka

thanks, it's posts like this that make this forum worthwhile. true diy  :icon_idea:

I haven't boxed anything up yet, but planning to do so soon, am really facing the same problem with even tinier (fuzz)boards. The box is drilled but I found no solution to problem of board floating around in mid air ready to sh :icon_twisted: rt with a heavy stomp.

i've seen people wrapping the boards in thick paper... will have to come up with something ...

thanks for the inspiration!
ZJ

Yun

Quote from: zjokka on June 10, 2006, 04:19:08 AM
thanks, it's posts like this that make this forum worthwhile. true diy  :icon_idea:

I haven't boxed anything up yet, but planning to do so soon, am really facing the same problem with even tinier (fuzz)boards. The box is drilled but I found no solution to problem of board floating around in mid air ready to sh :icon_twisted: rt with a heavy stomp.

i've seen people wrapping the boards in thick paper... will have to come up with something ...

thanks for the inspiration!
ZJ

You could put felt foam, or of the sort under the Perf.  Bubble wrap would work.  Anything that will act as a non-conductive shim, you know?
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

markm

I've been using Rat Shack stand-offs and drilling holes in the board to screw it down.
I screw them to the board, find a good position for it inside the enclosure and then
JB Weld it in. Let it set up overnight and then it's good to go.

This way the board is easily unscrewed for service or mods.
I don't suppose this is a very original idea but, it looks nice and is functional.

$uperpuma

thats really a great way to go... the plastic snap-in standoffs that someone here uses are also perfect...I don't recall the Mouser part number...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Gilles C

I'm glad that it could help those looking for a simple way to do it.

I also use the metal or plastic posts sometimes with some pcbs that I etched and tinned. But I normally plan these circuit over a longer time, and know in advance where everything will go.

But when you build a circuit on a stripboard, and use a box that already has holes in it like what I used for the photos, it good to have a simple way fast to do it. It's also a good way to hold a Millenium Bypass pcb in a box that already has another pcb in it. You need just one of these holders and you're done. You can put it anywhere in the box.

Nice job Marm. Nothing beats posts for a pro looking job. I also have my own way to use these posts that I should share someday. When I can take a photo...

And yes Zj, that's what this forum is for. Sharing ideas is part of the fun.

Gilles

Alex C

Quote from: markm on June 10, 2006, 11:43:59 AM
I've been using Rat Shack stand-offs and drilling holes in the board to screw it down.
I screw them to the board, find a good position for it inside the enclosure and then
JB Weld it in. Let it set up overnight and then it's good to go.

Hey Mark,

I do the same thing, but I just use a screw/thin bolt and to secure it to the enclosure I use "quick-set epoxy," the kind that comes in two syringes and is mixed like JB.  I used to use JB weld, but the epoxy stuff sets up in 90 seconds, and is very strong.

I epoxy the head of the bolt/screw to the enclosure, then I put one nut on, then the PCB, then another nut on top to hold it down.

It's basically the same as your method, but there's no waiting overnight for the JB weld to set- give the epoxy a try!

-Alex

markm

90 seconds is cool!!
I will give that quick set epoxy a try as I hate waiting for things to set up.
Thanks for the tip Alex,
   MarkM

343 Salty Beans

I am truly envious of that neat and organized wiring.  :icon_mad:

jonathan perez

no kidding! so far the glue gun has been my best friend.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Gilles C

LOL, I have a friend who is a fast gun when it comes to glue gun. He uses it for everything.

I had bad experiences with that, so I don't use it a lot.

Gilles

oldrocker

I'm envious too of all the neat wiring and nice etched PCB's and enclosures.  My DIY's are functional but the way mine are put together looks like sh*t compared to alot of you guys out there.

aron

Connoisseur of Distortion

very neat idea. i might give it a try!

my wiring is usually very messy... mostly because i use uncomfortably small enclosures.

you try squeezing a Great Cheddar! into a 125B and THEN we'll talk wiring.  ;)