What did I order!?

Started by trumpus, June 11, 2006, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trumpus

Hey,

I recieved an order from Mouser this week for some parts for the Mosfet Booster i was building.  On my shopping cart page before checkout, i noticed an IC op-amp chip that I had been planning on purchasing for an old TS-9 mod.  I figured since it was cheap, i'd just get it and swap it out with the IC chip that i used in the mod (this one's a TI chip, the other wasn't)

Anyways, the mail came and i noticed that this chip is TINY!!  I think I ordered the wrong type, no?  I thought it was the standard IC chip for TS-9 mods, but it is about 1/3 the size of the standard IC chips, has 8 leads, but looks like an engorged tick!

The part is:
595-RC4558D
Dual General Purpose
Texas Instruments Amplifiers - Operational

What is this!?

Brian

Seljer

you ordered the surface mount version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMD) of that chip. Right opamp but wrong format. With some very creative wiring you might be able to somehow still use it...though it'd probably be easier to just get a regular one.

RC4558P would be the regular kind.

trumpus

Ahhh...makes sense now.

Oh well - i can't possibly justify ordering just that chip from Mouser (and paying shipping that costs 10 times as much as my order price!) - so it will have to wait until I order a bunch of parts for another project...

For the last project i had to order from 3 different places, and all i ended up getting from Mouser was a few diodes and a capacitor, and it cost me $6 in shipping for an order of $1.50!

Brian