I need some help with a transformer

Started by Nalo1022, June 19, 2006, 01:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nalo1022

I recently aquired some random parts from a friend. His dad was stripping down an old SS peavey amp head, and as a result i got most of the amp (dissassembled). I havve the OT and im thinking of using it for a project but first I need to find ot some info on it. This is proving very difficult as Peavey used all in-house part #s. Does anyone know of any accurate ways of testing/identifying a OT?

brett

Hi.
You say OT (Output Transformer), but you also say SS (Solid State).  ??
Usually, OTs are used with valves to reduce the primary impedance of several thousand ohms down to a secondary impedance of 4, 8 or 16 ohms.
If it's a valve amp, you can get an idea of the impedances and wattage that it was designed for by checking the output valve type and number, and the speaker impedance and arrangement (serial or parallel).
This may sound a bit harsh, but if it is a power transformer and you thought it was an output transformer (or vice versa), maybe you've got a bit of learning to do before you can safely work with the high voltages used in transformers.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Nalo1022

Upon reding my post I realize i sounded a bit like a babbling idiot. I posted right before I went to bed after working a 13 hour shift. I originally meant to say Power transformer. The transformer in question is from a Peavey Supreme transtube head (100 watts i beleive). What is a accurate safe method of measuring and identifying this PT?

aron

Peter Snowberg

That transformer is going to be a Peavy custom made unit, so the best way to get the specs would be to find the schematic of the amp it came from.

Can you get the model number?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

mac dillard

You might just try contacting Peavey. Customer service no. is 877-732-8391 or e-mail customerservice @peavey.com.. I have found them to be very helpful. Called one time to order a chicken head knob for a Peavey Classic 50. Cost was something like a $1.50. I said shoot, it going to cost more to ship it than what it cost..The Lady I was talking to said "Give me your shipping address and I'll just send you one free." Did not even charge me for shipping..Not many would hav done that..Good Mississippi Folks..Give them a try. Will need model no. and SN of the Amp.