News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

bass phaser

Started by lowstar, June 21, 2006, 07:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowstar

hi folks,

i recently built the bad stone from topopiccione, and while it´s a cool phaser, it doesn´t sound too good with bass.
i did some searching, but other than some ways to make a phase 45 sound better with bass, i found no solution.

so i have two questions:
1) which phaser would be the "mother of all the bass phasers" ? i got a polyphase in the works, i got the parts for a small stone already, and 52fx builds tucked under my belt. so difficulty would not be that much of an issue  :icon_wink:

2) i like those soundsamples: http://public-peace.de/exar/phasing/phasing.htm, especially the one called "tapper".
they are from the exar phaser ph-04. now i don´t want to clone the exar phaser, but i would like to get this kind of "deep phasing" from one of the many diy builds.

so, have a heart for the bass players !

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

StephenGiles

You could try increasing C14 on the Badstone to 0.47uf or even 1uf which would allow the lower frequencies from your bass through better,
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Bernardduur

Yes, I can recommend the above named;

I love the Poly-phase on bass...... it is so good (even stock) but really comes alive when modded.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

MartyMart

I love my old TC XII Phaser, it's the "BK" version meaning Bass/Keyboard, also sounds
fantastic on GTR.
Have not seen a schem for this anywhere, its a complex beast but has dozens of different
sounds :D
Making in/out caps much larger should help a lot with bass, try a least 220n, perhaps 470n
or 1uf, if you can get some poly caps that large.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

lowstar

thanx for your answers so far.
will making the input/output caps bigger also make the sweep go deeper ? i thought that would be harder to accomplish, like somewhere in the notch/filter section.
actually, i had the t.c. phaser for quite a while, but i don´t know which version. maybe i should try to get it back to try it out again (that was before my diy times - actually, that´s when i started my diy times, cause that friend, who has a whole collection of the t.c. pedals, gave a t.c.chorus/pm/flanger to me that needed repair, and he let me keep it ;-)

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100