Radio stations with colorosound overdrive!

Started by lldrew, June 28, 2006, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lldrew

I built the colorsound overdriver and it sounds great but I am picking up radio stations.  The board was originally being held only by two pieces of sticky back tape to the bottom of the enclosure.  Should I cover the bottom of the enclosure with electrical tape and then apply the double back tape to that for my board to rest on?  Will this help?  Neither of my output wires of input wires were very close to each other in the enclosure, what should I do!  Im using the offboard wiring diagram from tonepad (the 3PDT LED true bypass one)  any tips?  Thank you!

aron

Is the enclosure metal? I guess you could try some of the techniques mentioned in the FAQ - cap to ground etc...

lldrew

ugh, i am going to pull my hair out over this.  The enclosure is a hammond BB size metal enclosure.  Wouldnt that cap to ground take away from the tone?  I read somewhere about a 10k resistor before the input cap.

petemoore

Yes, or no, depending on it's size...whether you can tell a difference in the tone or not, and would be a compromize of rolloff vs. 'reception squelcher'.
  Try the 10k, it might just do it.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ge_Whiz

The "cap to ground" at the input only needs to be about 22pF or thereabouts. No effect on the tone.

lldrew

Ok, I tried the 10k resistor method and it had no effect whatsoever.  Could it have to do with the 4 coats of laquer on the outside of the box?  Would that effect it at all?

aron

Do you have any other distortion pedals? Do they have the station bleeding in? I assume the box is grounded (jacks touch the metal) and the jacks are grounded.

lldrew

I have a tone bender that does not get any RF interference.  The jacks are grounded but on the outside of the enclosure (where the jacks come out and get tightened down) I have 4 coats of laquer.  Would that hinder anything with the nut and washer outside the enclosure (I.E. the fact that there touching 4 coats of laquer)?

aron

Possibly if the coating is on the inside as well. Scrape away some of the coating on the inside (if you have any) by the jack and it will make a connection.

lldrew

No, its only on the outside.  Well, I'm just going to go get a 22pF cap and put it before the input cap and solder the other end to ground I guess.  Think that would fix the problem?  The 10k resistor did not work.  Like I said the pedal is working great other than that.  It sounds fantastic but when you stop playing, you here radio stations.  Think the 22pf cap will work?

aron