Found on Ebay and I'd like to build one...but how?

Started by Hiwatt25, June 30, 2006, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiwatt25

I saw this auction on Ebay and it seems like a very cool pedal but at a biscuit under a hun-ski I have to believe it can be DIY'd for less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Napalm-Pedals-Volume-True-Bypass-Volume-cut_W0QQitemZ260003436202QQihZ016QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know how this works? Please keep in mind I'm still a noob. I don't know if there would need to be any transistors in there or if the whole thing is passive. 

Also, does anyone know if a schematic for this kind of pedal is floating around?  I'd be happy to try and figure it out on my own but I don't know exactly how it works.  Is it just a pot inside there that rolls off your guitar's volume or is there some complex circuitry that I don't get?

Thanks!

choklitlove

i'm pretty sure it's just a pot and a 3pdt.  2 poles controlling the bypass and the last controlling the led.  the first two poles would be looped on the "bypass" side and would go to the pot on the "on" side.  the first lug of the pot would be grounded.  the second is probably output.  the 3rd is the input.  i could draw it, but it's pretty simple.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

choklitlove

this should work:

the pot's lugs a little different from what i said, but both will work.

as for the pot's value, it could be 100k, 250k, 500k, you'll just have to see what you like best.  as long as it's audio taper or log.

there's also a mod to keep highs at low volumes that's really simple.  you might want to search for that.

Hiwatt25

choklitlove-

That just saved me like ninety bucks!  I owe you beer.  THANKS!!

choklitlove

ok, here's more.  i found this: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/SoloPro.pdf

you might want to build it more.  anyway, it has the treble bleed mod i talked about.  it just uses a .001uf capacitor between lugs 2 and 3 of the pot.  hope this helps!

Harry

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Joecool85

This is just like the Mr. Clean pedal I made, except I didn't use a LED since its a waste of battery.  And you don't even need a battery for this.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

sta63bmx

Some people really seem to use the guitar's volume pot a lot, but I'm not one of them.  My uncle almost always controls his levels that way, but I just use a clean boost and leave the guitar full on.  I guess it takes all kinds.

Gilles C

I also never use my guitar volume. Both my right hand and my brain get too busy for me to play with it when start I playing...

But my feet keep moving by themselves, so they are easier to let them do a job if I need to.

And most of the time, I've been lucky enough (or unlucky sometimes...) to have someone to adjust the volume of the amp instead when it's needed.

Gilles

Joe

That wiring diagram reminds me of circuit layouts in old magazines. Good idea!

jimbob

That pic of the ebay box looks like it was painted w finger nail polish and the brush was used as well. NOt a bad idea if that really is the case. Its glossy, hard, cheap, and comes in a zillion colors.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Miracle

Call me stupid, but where do ALL the grounds go. :icon_redface:

Dragonfly

Satch12879

Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

ohm1163058

The sad thing is someone well probably buy that thing, not knowing that the nice Hamond box is probably the bulk of the $12 dollars it is worth. Also if you notice in the other pics that are supplied of the "pedal" there is one with the instructions that mentions the battery well last a long time as it is only running the led.

Alex C

Quote from: Miracle on July 01, 2006, 08:14:56 PM
Call me stupid, but where do ALL the grounds go. :icon_redface:

The grounds all get connected together.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

Some benefits I can see to a passive volume cut pedal are the ability to have your "standard setting" with the cut engaged, then click it off for a boost, or otherwise make your standard setting with the pedal bypassed, and click it on for the same reduction in volume every time, and hands-free.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Alex C on July 02, 2006, 12:55:10 PM

Some benefits I can see to a passive volume cut pedal are the ability to have your "standard setting" with the cut engaged, then click it off for a boost, or otherwise make your standard setting with the pedal bypassed, and click it on for the same reduction in volume every time, and hands-free.

i built one for a friend of mine, in a "combo" box with a sparkle boost...he plays a marshall jmp...sets the jmp as his "rhythm" tone...that way he can use the clean machine to clean up the tone, or the sparkle boost for solo's...kind of makes it a "pseudo" 3 channel amp...

AC