Dumb Ruby Question...

Started by MetalUpYerEye, July 02, 2006, 04:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalUpYerEye

Sorry for the dumb question but I was building a stock Ruby for my younger brother and misplaced the LM386 IC I had set aside for it. This is a problem for me as I cant get to the electronics store but every 2 weeks or so, so... I got to looking around in my garage and found that when I bought the parts for a Tubescreamer i'm going to build for him (after the Ruby) I had bought an extra JRC4558D IC.

How much fun/damage/destruction/awesomeness/mayhem/anything would I create if I plugged the JRC4558D in the Rubys socket instead of the LM386?

Cliff Schecht

It wouldn't work. both chips have different layouts and operations.

MetalUpYerEye

Ah... Poop!

What if I used jumpers to correct the pinouts? Could a mini-amp be built using a 4558? Think it'd sound like anything decent?

KORGULL

I'm guessing that you won't get much power/clean volume using the 4558. I don't think it is nearly as capable of driving a speaker as the LM386.

MetalUpYerEye

Well I read the datasheets for the two IC's.

The LM386 has a typical voltage gain of 26dB, whereas the JRC4558 has a typical voltage gain of 100dB. To me it sounds like that'd yield more POWER!

My main question still stands though; Is it feasable to build an amp out of a 4558 and if so, any thoughts on what it might sound like?

Peter Snowberg

The thing that matters in amplifiers for speakers is the current gain.

The 4558 datasheet from Fairchild shows a short circuit current of 20mA. The output voltage swing vs. load resistance graphs don't cover an 8 ohm load, but from the curves you can see it looks like the swing would be less than a volt at 8 ohms. As a guesstimate, you'll get maybe 20 milliwatts, max.

NE5532s are built to drive low impedance loads and they work well for headphone amps, but don't expect much from a speaker and an opamp built for voltage gain.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation