Rebote 2.5 testing/troubleshooting

Started by blanik, July 04, 2006, 02:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanik

hi all, i just finished my Rebote 2.5 delay and it sound AMAZING!!! i've been using a DD-3 for years but this one sounds so much cooler... (prior to the DD-3 i was using a Roland Space Echo and this thing reminds me of it! no joke!)

I was testing it without a switch or enclosure and without any other effects (ie: no distotion in front) the only thing i wasn't shure about was a slight background noise (not the "the ground is not connected" type) even with the volume on the guit. shut closed i could still ear a slight, irregular, hiss/hum (specially at high volume on the amp) it's not something that would make me go back to the DD-3 but i was just wondering if anyone of you made it and found it to be totally silent...

the reason i'm not shure is that i used three 0.083 uF (a .068 uF in parallel with a .015 uF) caps instead of the recommended 0.082 uF (wich i didn't have at hand... and who would have waited one more minute before testing a new effect for a mere 0.001 uF difference?  :icon_twisted: ) could those cap change induce a slight backgroud noise or should look elsewhere (or stop looking at all 'cause it's normal for the PT2399 to produce some noise?)

thanks

R.

blanik

once enclosed, the slight noise disseapeard (probably the aligator clips i was using to connect some stuff were the culprits).. it's now very silent and very amazing... i can't beleive the sound of that thing!

the only drawback (very little) is that the reapeats are a little distorted (specially on longer settings) but that's a know feature (bug)... anyway it's barely noticeable when using it with distortion

would putting in the 3 real cap values help with this bug or is it pointless to get those?

R.

bancika

Noise dissapeared because now enclosure shields circuit from noise.
As for caps, they won't help with distortion. I used all caps like specified and still get little distortion
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

blanik

hi again, i tried my Rebote 2.5 this afternoon at our reashall and i really dig the sound but at higher amp volumes the delayed signal isn't as loud as on my DD-3... i know that after the whiper on the level pot (maxed) there's a cap (1uF) and a resistor (33k), would i get a little more gain by changing ant of those values? it would be perfect if i could get juste a little more!

R.

DuncanM

The first thing I'd try is reducing the 33k resistor....  :)

blanik

DuncanM

A total guess but.... 22k should give you a touch over 3dB more gain on the delay side. You could try that to start with.

I thought that the stock values should produce delays slightly louder than the original signal - is this not the case?

blanik

i did a lot of jamming with my Rebote 2.5, it sounds great by itself but i thought it didn't cut through enough with the band (read: a signer and sequencers in an extra loud PA... :icon_wink:)

i tried lowering the resistor value on the wet signal, it helped a little but it still wasn't there yet...
it kind of dawned on me that it might not be a level problem but an EQ problem, Mr Pena mentionned that the 2.5 has some more high freq cutoff than the 2.0 (to make it sound more analog) but i think it might be just a little to dark to come through the live setting

does anyone made both of them? is the difference subtle or quite obvious?

thanks

R.