Channel Selector Grounding Question

Started by zpyder, July 11, 2006, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

I'm new here and I've started to fall in love... creating my own pedals will be much easier with a support group rather than without.

I recently put together a very simple device which switches channels for me.  It gives me two sends and two returns so I can switch between two banks of effects.  It consists of a DPDT and some wires in a metal box, like this:

__FX LOOP 1__
           |                   |
SND 1   -----|    |------   RTN 1

IN ----------|     |--------- OUT

SND 2   -----|    |------   RTN 2
           |___________|
              FX LOOP 2

where the DPDT is in the middle - hope that makes some sense...

anyways, my box is metal and my jacks all have metal housing, so everything is grounded together.  Will this cause a problem?  I noticed some humming at my old practice space, but now that we've moved to a new one I don't have any problems ... sounds like a grounding issue to me but I know very little.  I don't trust the thing to go on random stages, so I leave it at home, but I REALLY want to make it reliable!  It'll upgrade my rock...

I guess I should go out and buy a 3PDT and add an LED to it also, that'd be helpful.

Any other suggestions?

thanks!
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

GibsonGM

I don't think the ground was the issue, Z...maybe shielding is more responsible?  Something in your jam space might have been radiating energy and getting in your pedal.  A nearby light dimmer, etc.

One thing, tho...if the 2 FX loops have different ground potentials (like, one actually has a little DC voltage on it), that would cause issues.   But if it's quiet in another location, I really think it's shielding.  Are you just using different pedals in each loop?  If the hum comes back, take them out 1 by 1, sub in others, etc., and you may find an offender.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

zpyder

GibsonGM, thanks for your reply...

I'm pretty new at this so please bear with me.  Shielding shounds like a reasonable cause, but what would I do to properly shield?  I'm using an electrical box (one that would go in a wall and contain a light switch or power outlets) for my case - solid metal, cheap aluminum alloy I imagine, and thick... How do you shield your boxes?

Yes, the basic reason why this thing wants to be in my rig is that I come from the oldschool where we overdrive the amp to get distortion.  I accomplish this by cranking my amp into overdrive and using a passive volume pedal so if I want clean tones I turn it down (lower volume gives extra dynamic as well).  anyways, I want to use this thing to switch between my Driven Loop and my Clean loop, cause I'll use some reverb on the clean, etc... you get the idea.  I can effectively switch 3 pedals on and 2 off at once which is very hard with only two feet.

soooo.... I appreciate your response, one more question.  isn't there always DC voltage running along the signal path?  I imagine low, but I don't understand why this would be wrong.

thanks!
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.