One knob Fat Fuzz

Started by cakeworks, July 12, 2006, 02:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

Howdy

I'm looking for the schematic for the layout for the one knob fat fuzz which i downloaded, found, and viewed using banica's diy layout creator.
It was created by one Andrew Carrell. I am unsure of the polarities of the caps (probably because i'm a complete newbie)

-thanks
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

MartyMart

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/One_Knob_Fat_Fuzz

I used 1uf poly caps, if you use electro's :

First one + side towards the 9v strip
Seond one + side towards the 100k and - side to volume pot

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cakeworks

thanks heaps!

Yeah I'm using electro's.

MAN I like you guys!

how simple would it be to put an led into this deal to ice the proverbial cake here?
-Jack

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

petemoore

PDEasy as using a 3pdt for bypass, [two rows for bypass leaves 1 row *unused] using the 2 of the 'extra' rows 3 lugs to make/cut the supply to the LED and limiting resistor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mordred

Hi Guys .... sorry to be a pest ..

But I was wondering if you could help me with a parts listing for the One Knob Fat Fuzz.
Obviously the Transistor is easy enough, but just to confirm the rest of the parts:
3x100k resistors?
1M resistor?
2x1uF capacitors?
.1uF capacitor?

Also ... does any one have a wiring diagram for this?
- This would only be my second build. My first being the Tweak-O (and it half works ..... the volume boost is fine, but there is no fuzz  :-\ but that's another story)

Thanks in advance
A.

cakeworks

Check out martymart's link, second post ;)
-Jack

Mordred

QuoteCheck out martymart's link, second post Wink

I did ... that's why I was just wanting to confirm that I had all the correct parts  :)
     I'm still not up to par with the deciphering of parts     :icon_eek: but hopefully soon

bal704

Also, what is the white box with the red dot in the middle, just below the top most 100k?  It doesn't appear to be connected to anything.  Is that a typo (or a draw-o)?

MartyMart

Quote from: bal704 on July 13, 2006, 06:23:30 PM
Also, what is the white box with the red dot in the middle, just below the top most 100k?  It doesn't appear to be connected to anything.  Is that a typo (or a draw-o)?

They are "cuts" in the stripboard traces,( copper) have a look at some more of those layouts, those "white boxes"
are everywhere :D
They are done with a few "twists" of a 5mm drill bit and are there to separate various components in a circuit.
without them the whole thing would just "short out"

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

idlechatterbox

An old thread, I realize, but I just for the heck of it built the 1KFF, so thought I would add my observations to what others have posted.

1. I used an 80k pot instead of 100k. Worked fine. I confess that I didn't actually want to use an 80, but that's what my 100k measured out to, so I went with it.

2. I used electrolytics. See Marty's advice (above) on how to orient them if you do too. Tried different types of caps, and didn't really hear a sound difference. Could be just me.

3. the pot on the 1KFF controls more than just the degree of fuzz. It controls the volume of your guitar output. I.e., crank it and your guitar gets louder (and fuzzier). Turn it off and you've now got an acoustic. The fuzz is very subtle with the pot turned low, but at max it has a strong nasal (not sure of a better term) "snarl" to it. It's enough to make you want to put on a big headband and play the Star Spangled Banner  8)

Thanks MartyM and Dragonfly  :icon_biggrin:

MartyMart

Quote from: idlechatterbox on January 18, 2007, 09:46:46 AM
An old thread, I realize, but I just for the heck of it built the 1KFF, so thought I would add my observations to what others have posted.

1. I used an 80k pot instead of 100k. Worked fine. I confess that I didn't actually want to use an 80, but that's what my 100k measured out to, so I went with it.

2. I used electrolytics. See Marty's advice (above) on how to orient them if you do too. Tried different types of caps, and didn't really hear a sound difference. Could be just me.

3. the pot on the 1KFF controls more than just the degree of fuzz. It controls the volume of your guitar output. I.e., crank it and your guitar gets louder (and fuzzier). Turn it off and you've now got an acoustic. The fuzz is very subtle with the pot turned low, but at max it has a strong nasal (not sure of a better term) "snarl" to it. It's enough to make you want to put on a big headband and play the Star Spangled Banner  8)

Thanks MartyM and Dragonfly  :icon_biggrin:

Glad that you're enjoying it :D
Dont forget that your "guitar input volume" controls the Fuzz, the volume pot in it
is ONLY an output volume pot  !!
Using Poly/Tantalum/electro caps here doesn't make much difference :D
For a thinner "weedy fuzz" sound ,try using 0.022uf caps ( 22n )

MM.

rove

I built this recently too and had a lot of fun with it.  Gets tons of gain and a nice Fuzz.  I just boxed it up last night with an LPB following it, was able to fit both into a B size enclosure, though not without a bit of cursing!  I used those box caps, no electros...
thanks for the layout.