News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Noisy Microvibe

Started by CurlyMo, July 12, 2006, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurlyMo

About 2 years ago, I sidelined my Voodoo Lab Microvibe due to the fact that it would either cut the volume in half or completely out when switched on and moved on to a Rotovibe. A couple months ago I read that this happened when the all the nuts and washers on the switch were not touching the casing. I've just now had time to fool with it so, I opened it up and sure enough the felt battery sheeth was stuck between the washer and the casing. I pulled the felt out of the way, screwed the switch back to the pedal, turned it on and the sound did not cut out at all. Unfortunately, it is really noisy. I'm not talking about the standard "swoosh" that I get from my CE-2 or the Rotovibe, but a loud static swoosh that is almost as loud as any notes I play. If I roll down the volume to 7 on the guitar and arpeggiate some open chords, you can hear this loud staticy swoosh behind the swirling notes. The tone when I'm playing at full volume (and non-stop) is just like what it should sound like, but the noise level sounds like I'm running a couple of maxed out compressors after a noisy treble boost. I vaguely remember there being noise when I used it originally a few years ago, but I don't remember it being this bad, or I would've never put it on my board; I would definitely have exchanged it or gotten a refund. Is there anything I can do that can help quiet this down or even fix it?
My build experience includes: a new channel switcher with LEDs for my Classic 30, a Rangemaster clone (that worked fine on first start up and sounds good too...a little noisy, but nothing that prevents me from using it live) and a Stratoblaster clone.
So I'm not all that knowledgeable about this stuff, but I can solder/de-solder and follow a diagram.
Thanks in advance,
CurlyMo

BDuguay

I've tried that pedal recently and I recall it was not overly noisey. Nowhere near as bad as what you're describing.
I suggest you take it all apart, or as much as you're comfortable with, and closely examine every solder joint including, if any, off board wires. Check both sides of the board. I suspect that there is a bad or cold solder joint somewhere that is causing the problem.
Also, look for any broken component leads or obvious burnt or broken components.
Let us know how you make out and welcome to the forum.
B.

petemoore

Other than trying to locate by whether the noise is 'swooshing' with the LFO or not...
  An Audio probe may be of some service in locating the noise in the circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RedHouse