Cornish-style project

Started by jimmy54, July 24, 2006, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy54

Hi fellas,

After successfully building a 5-in-1 multi effect, I've wanted to build a Pete Cornish inspired board for a while.  After seeing Donald's great Cornish inspired board -

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46522.20

I finally got round to starting my own.  The greatest stumbling block for me would be to build the large wooden enclosure as I have no real experience of wood-working (my missus often calls me Frank Spencer!).  Anyway a couple of weeks later I now have the wood-working almost complete (and I'm surprised how well it's turned out so far, what with the general wood-working incompetence and all – does anyone remember that Kenny Everett character?).  Here are a couple of pics of it so far.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/billymill54/?action=view&current=LargeEnc2.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/billymill54/?action=view&current=LargeEnc1.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

I'm planning on putting at least twelve effects into it (possibly a couple more, switch-able with other effects).  These are some of the effects I'm thinking of putting in it:

AMZ Super Buffer
Foxx tone machine
Axis fuzz
Compressor (either orange squeezer or Ross)
Phuncgnosis
Thunderchief
Liquid Drive
The Crank
BYOC Phaser
Tremulus Lune
Sparkle Boost/Fetzer valve
Rebote 2.5 delay

To make the board a bit more flexible I'm planning on putting extra jack sockets in to allow me to put other external effects before the delay (and maybe before the modulation effects).

Can anyone think of any other useful features that I could include?  Any help/advice much appreciated.

QSQCaito

Parametric Equalizer?

still have to think of any other

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

Phorhas

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 24, 2006, 03:44:02 PM
Parametric Equalizer?

still have to think of any other

bye bye

DAC

+1 or the EQ

P.S - great work :)
Electron Pusher

newbie builder

Another +1 for eq and great looking project!
//

dano12

That is some really nice woodworking there! Good luck with the project.

Any ideas on how you are going to finish it? Here's one vote for using stain and laquer/poly instead of paint.

beliefspace

Awesome :) Good luck with it.

Stu

MartyMart

Looks great so far :D ... still didn't get time to start mine !!
It'll be a little smaller than that though !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

psst

jimmy54

Quote from: MartyMart on July 25, 2006, 06:35:16 AM
Looks great so far :D ... still didn't get time to start mine !!
It'll be a little smaller than that though !

MM.

The board is ~ 6 foot long by 4 foot deep.  Rather than use 3DPDT's I'll be fitting a midget inside to connect/disconnect each effect.  You don't want to know what true bypass means in this context :D

Actually it's 76cm x 46cm.

Looks like an equilizer is the popular choice.  To be honest I've never used an equilizer but I think in this case it would be good to add that extra functionality.

Any other suggestions for this such as any clever switching arrangements (I've been doing some reading about CMOS switching but it's a bit over my head at the moment.  Lots more reading and learning I think).  I'm planning on powering it with a 9v 2A power supply which should hopefully be enough for about 14 effects and a stack of LED's.

Jimmy

jimmy54

Wood-working almost complete, now just have to think about how it's going to be finished.

jimmy54

The painting on the board is now nearly completed.  I used black matt auto paint (about 4 coats with plenty of sanding in between) with good results.  The surface is so smooth is looks almost like plastic.  Just need to do the filler where the slanted top meets the horizontal top.  I've finished all the wooden rings which will go around the footswitches, just need to sand, paint them and glue them on.

I've already started on the circuits that will go in it.  So far I've built the AMZ super buffer, Foxx tone machine, Tremulus Lune, sparkleboost, phuncgnosis, Thunderchief and liquid drive.

Stompin Tom

How will you get that to gigs! You'll have to hire gilmore's roadies!!

mikey

Looking great!  I love these Cornish style boards people have been building recently.  Gives me lots of good ideas... and pedal envy   :icon_mrgreen:

343 Salty Beans

Gee, let's see...we could sell our firstborn son in order to get enough money for a real Pete Cornish piece...

or we could build one for 20 bucks.

Decisions, decisions.

jimmy54

I could probably get his roadies for a year cheaper than a Cornish board :)

It's not that big considering what it will hold.  I doubt I'd be using it out of the house though.

jonathan perez

ive got a friend who a genius at metal works......and im going to abuse those metal working rights and build me a badass cornish style board.  :icon_evil:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

QSQCaito

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on August 10, 2006, 09:54:16 PM
Gee, let's see...we could sell our firstborn son in order to get enough money for a real Pete Cornish piece...

or we could build one for 20 bucks.

Decisions, decisions.

+1,
+ You could make as pete cornish and sell 'em for 15.000, does the business is good enough?. mm

Decisions, decisions.

Bye bye
haha

dac
D.A.C

markm

I just have to say how thoroughly impressed I am by this project.
Truly, truly AMAZING!
Nice work jimmy54, Very nice indeed.

jimmy54

Thanks Markm.  Here's a picture of the enclosure with filler where the slanted top meets the horizontal top.  I used P38, which is a sand-able car body filler.  Really pleased with the result, you can't even see the join now.

Now it's time to start marking and drilling the aluminium backing plates.  Still need to decide on what knobs I'm going to use.

343 Salty Beans

aluminum knobs would look nice...you can get em cheap from futurlec.

http://www.futurlec.com/SwKnob.shtml

Scroll down to the silver ones.