Booster power switching question

Started by billings, July 25, 2006, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billings

I'm building an AMZ mosfet booster.  Earlier this month I ordered a whole slew of parts off of mouser, but the stereo jacks weren't in stock.  So I didn't have a stereo jack to control the battery hookup, and I've only been using DPDTs so I couldn't use a spare terminal on the switch to do it.  I had the circuit perfed and ready to go, though, so I started seeing if there was a way to switch the power in some reasonable fashion using only mono jacks and the DPDT.

Here's what I came up with - apologies to everyone who sees this, I promise I'm older than eight.  Apologies to Mr. Orman as well, whose graphics I have partially ganked - perhaps he will forgive me for the many secrets I have revealed and claimed as my own:

When the circuit is on, Rb is shorted out, the input jack is connected to the input cap, everything works appropriately.  When the circuit is off, the input bypasses straight to output, the input cap is connected to ground via Rb to prevent switch popping, and the gate is pulled to ground, turning off Q1 and leaving nothing but the minimal current drawn by the bias network and Ra (in the case of the MOSFET Booster, tens of microamps - which I think should be at least a year off on a 9V battery).

Is my thinking flawed?  Will there be any serious problems with having the FET grounded when the effect is turned on again?  I've done nothing but build stuff from schematics online, so I'm not too sure of myself here.

billings

So I built this - server's down at the moment, but basically I was trying to switch power on an AMZ MOSFET booster by grounding the gate when the DPDT is off.  I hooked it up to a battery - transistor biases are correct, seems to be working.  Great.  So I hit the switch - gate is grounded, drain and source are at +V and ground respectively.  Excellent.  Then I hit the switch again and...  nothing.

I poked around on the circuit a bit, and it looks like the gate and the source are shorted to each other, even when they shouldn't be.  No current flows between gate and drain or source and drain.  Is this what it looks like when the SiO_2 layer gets blown on the MOSFET?  If so, then I'm guessing it was due to an overvoltage when the switch connected the input cap.  I don't have the 47pF cap hooked up as indicated on the schematic (here); would that fix any issue with transients from the switch, or would I need a higher value cap?