Which ToneStack for my next designed pedal?

Started by KerryF, July 26, 2006, 11:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KerryF

I am in the process of drawing out the schematic for my second designed pedal.  It is going to be a smooth and mild overdrive/boost pedal.  I am putting a tonestack in it and I have 4 options on what tonestack to put.  Heres the options, please tell me what you think I should put:

1. Bassman 5F6
2. Fender Twin AB763
3. Vox AC-30 Top Boost
4. Marshall 1987X

KerryF

Anyone??? Please... I want to finish the schematic.

John Lyons

How about somrthing simpler. Search for "Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control". Save yourself some pots and knobs.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

syndromet

I used the Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control on my hiawatha, Works wonderfully.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

KerryF

...But I want a tonestack :-\ .  So choose one of the listed tone stacks.

GibsonGM

Depends what you want to sound like, 800...less mid, more mid, etc.  What I like to do is breadboard 1 or 2 tone stacks, run the output of the effect into it and give 'em a listen.  I really like the Big Muff tone setup, and alter cap values to suit my tastes, and match what the drive of the effect is doing.   Some distortions sound better than others with mids up.
That said, if I were shooting in the dark with what you want to choose from, I'd go with the Fender stack.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

burnt fingers

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on July 26, 2006, 02:13:05 PM
...But I want a tonestack :-\ .  So choose one of the listed tone stacks.

Dude you are coming off way too demanding.  It's your design.   What do YOU want it to sound like.  Do some experimenting and find which one serves the circuit best.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Quackzed

check out a tone stack calculator for some options, duncans tonestack calculator i think it's called ,is cool.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

KerryF

Wow thanks Quackzed!!! Thats helps so much.

Burnt Fingers-  I am not being demanding.  Everyone on here seems to think I am demanding...  I just came to the conclusion that I want a tone stack, so i asked which one.  i didnt ask for other options...  i am open to other options, but i asked what tone stack, not to recommend tone controls.

KerryF

In the program theres a symbol thats a circle with a ~ in it.  It has the value of 38k next to it and is labeled "Zsrc" next to it.  What is this please?

John Lyons

I've got an idea, Why don't you put all 4 tone stacks in the pedal and then get a rotary switch to switch between the 4 types.
Should only use 13 knobs but what A choice!!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

KerryF

Sweet idea man!  I think I will do that in the future.  Right now, I am sick of rotary switches.  My last build was what I named the 4uzz.  It was 4 fuzzes I put in 1 box to be able to switch around between them with a rotary switch.

KerryF

so does anyone know the answer to the question?  The program has a symbol thats a circle with a ~ in it sort of looks like (~).  It has the value of 38k next to it and is labeled "Zsrc" next to it.  What is this please?

zpyder

I've never used the program but what you're describing sounds like the symbol for an AC signal (ie your guitar signal).  So my guess would be that it represents your input signal.  Zsrc (as in source) would make me think the same thing.  HOWEVER, human hearing is basically between 20Hz to 20kHz ... so I have no idea why you would want a value of 38k ... that's outside of human hearing.

zheers
cpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

KerryF

Its not the symbol for AC.  The ~ isnt connected to the sides, but floating in the middle.

I was told "The Zsrc is the source impedance and needs to be calculated from the output of the proceeding stage."  Anyone know any more information on what that means, or what I have to put there?

Peter Snowberg

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/impednc.htm ;)

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on July 26, 2006, 07:42:16 PM
Its not the symbol for AC.

Zpyder called it correctly. It represents an AC source and is a very standard symbol.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

John Lyons

Call1800...

I think you are being a bit manic here but these are my takes of some of the tone setups. (in a nutshell)

Fender= a big wide mids cut always and a lot of highs and lows, basically a smooth warm and fat sound.
Also eats up the most signal/gain from the circuit

Marshall= more mids and high mids than fender overall.

Baxandall= the most gain available preserved and the ability to change the bass mid and treble withough disturbing the other tone controls.
With this one you can have a mid boost, bass boost or treble boost independant of the other knob settings.

Big muff= On one side of the dial it's a low pass, thick and wooly. On the other side of the dial it's a high pass, screaming treble. IN the middle it a pretty mid scooped fat tone.

Basically you should go with what you want the amp to sound like. Marshall, fender or more versitile with the Bax.  Another thing you can do it build it without the tone controls and conect the circuit to a breadbaord and audition the tone stacks. Then find what sounds good and build a small board for the tone stack...or redo the whole board with the new chosen stack...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

KerryF

I chose the Fender because I want a nice thick and smooth overdrive/booster.  I might decide to just do the Big Muff tone control but not quite sure still.