just curious.. What the biggest project you've perfed???

Started by csmatt45, July 31, 2006, 03:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on August 01, 2006, 07:43:32 AM
Do not, I repeat, do NOT perf the string ringer! That thing is rough enough as a PCB, you'd never get it working on perf!
Trust me, comparing the hastle of perf verus making the string ringer PCB, throw all your perf in the bin!
If you started perfing the string ringer now, it'd be working by September... of NEXT YEAR. :icon_lol:
Argh, the McMeat connections are mind-boggling  :icon_confused:

I have been meaning to build the meatball. The thing is I just dont perf. Plus I hate offboard wiring. I may just have to decipher the logic of the offboard connections and make a PCB layout for it including PCB mount rotary switches.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Joe

I build everything on plain perfboard (no pads). Amps, pedals, supplies, whatever. Nothing else works for me really.

swt

i've done a couple of analog delays...they both work fine, but i have an issue on all the delays i've built..including the pt80, a dm2, delay champ, and ad3208. they all make a nasty feedback towards the high frequnecy when self oscillating, and that is really annoying, i have old ones like the dealy champ, and the self oscillation is really round, dirty, and obscure. in my builds they all go to a high pitch oscillation. maybe it's because some ne 570 oscillate differentely, and those are the only i can get...although i once ripped an old pedal and took the sa571, and it did the same...really don't know about this...

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

A computer.

Not really.  :icon_wink: I perfed the Phuncgnosis. That's a far as a I go on perf.  :icon_cool:

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Connoisseur of Distortion

LXH2 was the biggest one. not too bad, actually.

Stephen Giles- that is ridiculous. how many hours of actual board layout/soldering did that take?

Paul Marossy

If I can find this page again, I'll link it, but there was this guy (in Germany, I think) that built an entire synth controller with perfboard. There was like 50 or 60 pots, bunches of jacks, something like 10-12 big circuit boards and an amazing amount of wiring. That takes the prize of anything I have seen so far.  :icon_eek:

EDIT: Well, I found that page, but it's made of PCBs... still worth a look, though: http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/

RaceDriver205

Jesus, Jesus, Christ! Steph G that scares the hell out of me! So much perf, nooooooooooooooo!

Gilles C

That's some big circuits...

But is it vero or perfboard?

These are not my biggest, but the biggest ones I have a picture. So does stripboard counts?

The one on the left is the prototype, the one on the right is the final circuit.

Gilles

jmusser

I believe the MXR Blue Box has been the most involved so far. Back in the mid 80s ( in my telecommunication days), I built several Z80 processor boards on perf using wire wrap. That was in the days before a processor was a single chip. With the mother and daughter board, it took enough perf board to cover a standard key board!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Gilles C

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion on August 02, 2006, 02:02:47 AM
Gilles- what are those things...?
It's a 68HC908GP32 microcontroller based circuit.

I once experimented with PICs to design a circuit to control guitar effects, and then decided to use a more powerful IC (68HC908GP32) to be able to add displays and and have more outputs.

So this is an experimenter board that I could use to detect some momentory switches in a pedal board, display the name of the effects or even something like "Lead Solo" on a line display instead of just using LEDs. Once everything is working properly, I could use a smaller IC and use the same program for that.

It is the kind of circuits that R.G. like to experiment with but with a different microcontroller.

Thanks for asking...  ;)

Gilles

Transmogrifox

I apologize in advance for having not resized the photo:

http://www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/DSCN0004

or
http://www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/DSCN0004.jpg

can't remember whether geocities likes the .jpg extension or not.

It's an envelope filter based on a state variable filter.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Gilles C

Nice multi-boards box. A lot of wiring in there.

I'm curious. What are those blue spacers? They look like beads.

Gilles

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Gilles C on August 04, 2006, 11:19:19 PM
....They look like beads.

Gilles

You hit the nail on the head.  A 6-32 machine screw fits nicely through the center of those. 
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Gilles C

Hey, thanks for the idea. 6-32 machine screws, ok...

I remember someone mentioning beads a while ago, but I don't even remember if it was about guitar effects. I just remember I took a picture of my wife's beads after that to show what I could use.

This time I will remember...

Gilles

Eric H

Quote from: Transmogrifox on August 03, 2006, 03:18:36 AM

It's an envelope filter based on a state variable filter.
Clever box design, and nice work.

-Eric

Not large, but came out nice (it's a mixer for my pedal-board):

" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

oldrocker

I perf board all my projects but most arn't that big.  I guess largest one would be the Phase 45 with Univibe mods.  The other semi large ones are:
TS-808
Scrambler
Big Muff
Rat
Orange Squeezer
I know they're not that big but what the heck.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Eric H on August 05, 2006, 12:20:02 PM
Not large, but came out nice (it's a mixer for my pedal-board):

Really clean circuiting job, I agree.  Am I correct in assuming the whole assembly mounts in a rack?
trans·mog·ri·fy