Outrageous vero cheat technique for Photoshoppers

Started by Processaurus, August 03, 2006, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

My laziness came to fruition with this technique to knock out veroboard projects faster and with less errors, it works great if you're familiar with sizing stuff in photoshop.  Basically I just sized the veroboard diagrams that the wonderful people around here have published to be the exact size of the actual veroboard, and stuck it on with some double sticky tape, and will stuff the components right through the paper (no it doesn't catch on fire, in case you're wondering). 

Set up photoshop so the units are in mm (EDIT>Preferences>units &rulers).
zoom in and measure the distance with the measure tool, center to center, between 10 holes.  D1 is the distance in the dialog box.
with a calculator or brain divide 25.5mm by D1 (25.5/D1).
move the decimal space two spaces to the right.  This will be the percentage to scale the image by.  3 digits should be fine.
In photoshop, go to image>image size.  Uncheck resample image if its checked.  Change the width or height units to "percent".  Enter in the percentage you calculated (you remembered to shift the decimal two places to the right, right?)
Scale the image.  It shouldn't have changed the resolution.
Check the distance between 10 holes again.  Now it should be 25.5mm.
When you print it out, make sure scale to fit page isn't checked in the print dialog.
Print that mother.
Now stick it on over the veroboard with double sticky tape.  Figure out how to get it straight and match up with the holes.  I've stuck some wire through 2 holes and their respective dots on the paper to help index the paper as I stick it on.
Poke holes in the paper were were you want the trace cuts to be.
Flip it over to the trace side and Hold it up the light or on a window, and mark the breaks on the traces with a sharpie. 
Do what you do to cut the traces.
Stuff the components right through the paper.  Marvel how the paper doesn't catch fire when the components are soldered.  Leave the paper on there forever.
Thats it.  Have fun.

*If the vero artist used the same template as Torchy and didn't resize it, it may work to just scale the image by 34.4%, so that it is 209.302 pixels per inch

Peter Snowberg

Very cool! 8)

I bought a laser galvo driver kit a few years back from an outfit that pasted their design on top of RadioShack experimenter boards. It worked very well.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

dano12

Holy crap. People have been doing veroboard for something like 300 years and no one came up with this idea until now?

Processaurus, Master of the Obvious. Except it wasn't obvious to anyone but Processaurus :)

I just did my first veroboard project last night. That would sure have helped.

Carry on.

markm

Interesting!
Sometimes I've etched PCBs from vero layouts by adding a layer and pasting my own solder pads and traces over the vero layout and thenprinting/ PNP-ing just the trace layer.
Although it's quite obvious that they are etched from vero, they still look good and best of all.....work!

Gilles C

I would also suggest that you mark the progress on a bigger b/w print-out with a highlighter to make it easier to know what was done and what still has to be done.

Gilles

tcobretti

Pro, you are the man.  Thanks very much for sharing!

KORGULL

Great idea!! I'm trying this out with my next perfboard project. I'll print it on some cheap sticker paper.

Dan N

No reason you couldn't do this with pcb parts layouts too.

I guess.

The paper would aggrevate me like crazy though...

StephenGiles

Such a shame that the world is being dumbed down. Not that I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I can solder up any circuit on veroboard direct after years of practice. However, I don't do DIY or car repairs and my wife doesn't make cakes or jam, so there you go - good luck to you.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MartyMart

What a geat idea ! 

I need the "reverse" of this, so all my "scratch vero builds" can be made into a layout direct from a photo !!

.... Then I wouldn't have to DRAW anymore up  :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

dacaumodo

birt

i sometimes do the same with perf lay-outs but on perf you still need to make sure you get all the connections on the solderside right.
the lay-outs can be smaller on perf tough.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: StephenGiles on August 04, 2006, 02:48:04 AM
I can solder up any circuit on veroboard direct after years of practice.

And I can't.......well, I do, but not easily.
I don't see it as 'dumbing down', but if you are worried gez, you can try working blindfolded :icon_wink:

"smart' is finding a way to work faster with less errors & this photoshop print deal is a winner.

gez

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 04, 2006, 09:08:42 AMI don't see it as 'dumbing down', but if you are worried gez, you can try working blindfolded :icon_wink:

I haven't contributed to this thread Paul (well, not until now)...damn Brits all sound the same!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

KORGULL

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)

quote]"smart' is finding a way to work faster with less errors & this photoshop print deal is a winner.

Exactly.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Apologies gez!  :icon_redface: I must have run 'giles' thru my britspeak translator & got 'gezza'... of course here in Australia we're all Bazzas, no matter where we started. Even the sheilas.

Hiwatt25

Another, "Why didn't I think of that" kind of idea.  Very clever.  As a new builder, I appreciate those ideas that keep the frustration level low.  Thanks!

Pushtone

Quote from: Dan N on August 04, 2006, 01:12:33 AM

No reason you couldn't do this with pcb parts layouts too.

I guess.

The paper would aggrevate me like crazy though...

I picked this very technique up right here on another thread! Thanks diystompboxes! :icon_razz:

Works great with paper PCB layouts and perf board. The paper stays in place great and is a wonderful guide.
Opens up all those great PCB layouts to those who would not otherwise etch a PCB.

The board in the pic cost 2.50 and fits tight inside a 1590B. I made little loops to make off-board wire connection points.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

markm

My hat's off to you guys, Great Idea!
Nice board Mr. Pushtone!  8)