Ultra Class A Superdrive Power Amp: Build report

Started by dano12, August 04, 2006, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

I happened across Tim Escobedo's "Ultra Class A Superdrive Power Amp/Signature Series" (that's a fun name) and thought it would be fun to build it. Very few parts so I worked to fit it into the smallest enclosure I could muster:

So far, so good. Even the battery fits in there.

I also wanted to mount the transformer and transistor on the top of the case to make it look like a little amp. After a bit of playing, I recalled Behringer's fantastic valve enhancement techonology wherein they place a small amber led behind the 12AX7 starved-plate tubes to give the illusion of a glowing valve.

Aha! What if I mount the transistor in a hollowed out 12A*7 tube and stick a LED behind it? Pointless gimmickry or ground-breaking sonic advancement--you be the judge.

Ok enough with the singular wit and banter. The completed amp:

And just to prove that the tube actually does glow:

It is really not very loud. In fact, I've had stomach rumblings that have higher output than this thing. But, put a booster or fuzz in front of it and you'll have loads of fun.

Key lesson learned in this build: Cutting the bottoms off tubes and cleaning them out....well, expect a lot of do-overs. I went through a gross of burned out tubes before getting one cut without it shattering.

KerryF

awsome looking.  do you have a link to the layout or schematic.  it may be cool to mount of of these things under a plexiglass cover.  I havent actually worked with tubes or transformers yet.  This looks easy, but would you recommend it as a first tube and transformer build?

dano12

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on August 04, 2006, 08:07:50 PM
awsome looking.  do you have a link to the layout or schematic.  it may be cool to mount of of these things under a plexiglass cover.  I havent actually worked with tubes or transformers yet.  This looks easy, but would you recommend it as a first tube and transformer build?

The schematic is available at http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html.

Note that this isn't actually a tube circuit. It uses a basic silicon transistor and a small output transformer. I stuck the transistor in a tube case to be silly.

I would guess it puts out just a bit over .0000001 watts :) So not terribly useful, but fun nonetheless.

By "first tube and transformer build" I'm guessing you mean a small tube amp?  If that's the case, here are some possible choices:

- Build a real tube amp from a kit. I've built the Guytronix Ardmore and am working on the Gilmore Jr. Some folks get a bit nervous about the high voltages, but if you take your time and treat the live circuit with respect and caution, its pretty safe and easy. I would *highly* recommend this to anyone who has done a few pedals--building an all tube amp is just a cool thing to try.

- Build a hybrid. There are very few starved-plate (i.e. you can get by with a 12vDC adaptor for your tubes, no high voltages) amp designs. A more practical approach may be to consider a tube-preamp into a LM386 power amp (like the Ruby).

- Forget the power amp and just start mucking around with tubes. There are a couple of very interesting tube pedal builds right here on the forum.

Seljer

I stared at that thing for 2 minutes before I realised what was going on  :icon_lol:

KerryF

haha yea after i posted im like, wait a second... thats not a tube, theres a transistor and led in there so theres no way thats a tube circuit.  haha.  looks cool though.

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Satch12879

You know what would have been really hot? If you could have figured out a way to use a LED + light pipe to make the pseudo-tube where you mounted the transistor glow.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

dano12

Quote from: Satch12879 on August 05, 2006, 02:03:20 PM
You know what would have been really hot? If you could have figured out a way to use a LED + light pipe to make the pseudo-tube where you mounted the transistor glow.

Interesting idea. I actually have some light-pipes from and old project....

Mark Hammer

Remember that old ad from A/DA about how "real amps glow in the dark"? :icon_biggrin: