News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Landgraff Caps?

Started by guitarpkr76, August 05, 2006, 06:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarpkr76

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been reading this site over the last few weeks and it's been very helpful. Thanks. My question is: What ar the yellow caps that are used in the Landgraff DO. Are they used throughout or are there other ones used?  Thanks for any help.

Torchy

IIRC they are normal box poly caps (probably MKT).

theman

Quote from: guitarpkr76 on August 05, 2006, 06:00:59 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been reading this site over the last few weeks and it's been very helpful. Thanks. My question is: What ar the yellow caps that are used in the Landgraff DO. Are they used throughout or are there other ones used?  Thanks for any help.

The caps are AVX box polyester film.  They are used throughout the design, but not for all the caps. Supposedly there are Sprague for the buffer caps and Blue Xicon for the electrolytics.

Datasheet for the AVX:

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/Catalogs/bf-bq.pdf

guitarpkr76

Thanks for the help guys.

-Brenton

guitarpkr76

Could you tell me which ones are the buffer caps exactly? I think I know, but want to make sure. I just ordered a bunch of parts from mouser and the only caps I got in that were right were the electrolytics so I'm starting to doubt myself. Thanks guys.

guitarpkr76

Also if you have the mouser part numbers for the caps(besides the electrolytics) that would be great. Thanks again. I hope to have something I can contribute soon. Sorry for all the questions.

theman

The AVX Polyester box caps from Mouser are:

Example for a 0.1 uF cap

581-BF014D0104J (contains lead)
581-BQ014D0104J (RoHS compliant, lead-free)

These are 63V J (5% tolerance), which I believe are the exact caps used in the LDO, based on the internal photos and cap markings. The lead and lead-free versions are probably identical in performance and also size. Both are the same price, currently at $0.12 each for quantities under 100.

Note that in Clay's schematic, he mentions that the buffer caps are Sprague. I believe that is for the 10 uF output cap only. If you look at a photo of the LDO insides, you'll notice a 22n AVX box cap that corresponds to a 0.022uF cap. There is only one cap like this, and it's the input cap. All the other AVX caps are taken into account in Clay's schematic. The output cap is hard to figure out -- it's light blue and looks like it could be axial because it is sideways and is longer than a radial. Maybe it's a Sprague Atom cap, 10 uF ... not sure of the voltage. These are common for amp builders, so maybe this is what is used on the output. Can anybody comment?