Delay for vocals

Started by zpyder, August 05, 2006, 11:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

I'd like to make a delay pedal for use with vocals.  Instead of 1/4" jacks I'd like to install XLR.  I'm looking at the Rebote 2 and the KIS.  Wondering if anyone who's used these circuits would have any advice on which one may work better for vocals - a little distortion at the end of the repeats would not be a big deal...

Anybody?

thanks,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

cakeworks

-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

Seljer

I think the way its usually done is that your effect processor thing, of any kind (eg: a regular delay pedal should work), in set up in the FX loop of the mixer you're using

Ethan

I think the rebote would be the best choice.  It's pretty easy to build and sounds good.  The pt80 is a little cleaner (I think) and might have less distortion at longer delays, but I think you would probably only notice if you were playing through a guitar with lots of distortion.

petemoore

I'd like to make a delay pedal for use with vocals.  Instead of 1/4" jacks I'd like to install XLR.  I'm looking at the Rebote 2 and the KIS.
  I was also going to say:
  set up in the FX loop of the mixer you're using...because using a semi-modern mixer will fascilitate the use of matched XLR mic input, and the buffers of the effects loop might be good to have in the chain.
  I'd choose a delay, and use the effects loop of a mixer to implement it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

The way the repeats are filtered will be critical.  The problem with echo on voice is that if the real-time vocals are easily confused with the delayed vocals, the intelligibility drops dramatically.  Especially as either the number of repeats increases or as the delay decreases.

There are two things you can do to offset that.  One is to mix the delay into the background more, perhaps even going so far as to stick a fixed resistor in series with the input of the repeat pot so as to chop off the upper part of its range.  A second is to treble cut the repeats and the overall delay path to the mixer a bit so that the real time vocals are always easily distinguishable from the delayed vocals by virtue of level AND bandwidth.

zpyder

thanks for the comments guys...

the matched XLR input was one of my concerns.  Since I've never installed an XLR, I don't really know what it requires except that I understand it uses a regulated ground (?)... What would I have to do to include a matched input inside a stomp box?

If that's not feasible I suppose a 1/4" stompbox in the fx loop would work, just seems a little more complicated when playing live on random stages

cheers
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

bryantabuteau

not to derail, but I'd also be interested in what needs to change to ad XLR inputs/outputs to DIY effects.  And I mean stomp on stage effects, not stuff that goes into an effects loop at the mixer, because I want control on stage of my own effects and can't always trust a sound guy to switch things on and off at the right time etc.  I know mic levels are alot lower than guitar levels, so I'd need a gain stage at the start of most effects for them to work properly (ie at guitar levels)?    I'd love to build a couple of decent filters, hard eqs and clipping stages into a box for vocal work.  Maybe even with CV input for modulating stuff and controlling filters.

nightingale

Hi,
I took a rebote delay vocal rig on a coast to coast tour with me last summer. 

XLR to 1/4" impedance matching adapter -> rebote delay -> groove tubes DI ->XLR to house PA

[the same rig works well with an echoplex too]

The rebote has to have a separate wall-wart from your pedals, or a hum will be introduced into the house PA.

hope this helps,
ry

ps.
i had a parallel universe in series with the rebote,  but i never has to balls to use it live..

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bryantabuteau

sounds like a goer.   No problems with level then?  I have a parallel universe sitting around that could be fun to ruin vocals with :D

zpyder

Yes, so a question is - what would I need to build into a stompbox to accept an XLR input and deliver an XLR output... Or maybe even better yet... What makes up an XLR to 1/4" adapter, and what makes up a DI box?  These things I'm sure are available elsewhere, but I'd love to hear from those who've done it

cheers!

zpyder

Ethan

zpyder,
this is what you are looking for:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443&cp=&origkw=microphone+transformer&kw=microphone+transformer&parentPage=search

It's basically a small impedance matching transformer inside. I do no know the turns ratio.  I bet you could do the same thing with a one op amp buffer circuit