100k expression pedal?

Started by ExpAnonColin, August 06, 2006, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

Does anyone know of an out of the box, 100k linear expression pedal?

Word on the street is bespeco is 20k, line 6 is 10k tip to sleeve, and boss/roland is 10k effective resistance.  What about the moog?

-Colin

sfr

Hrm, I have no clue.

For what it's worth, I have the Roland EV-5, that I use with some boss pedals, and I with the dial on the left maxed, I get 50K resistance tip-sleeve with the pedal at max travel.  With the dial on the left at it's minimum setting, I get about 10K resistance worth of "travel" out of the thing.
sent from my orbital space station.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: sfr on August 06, 2006, 05:11:34 PM
Hrm, I have no clue.

For what it's worth, I have the Roland EV-5, that I use with some boss pedals, and I with the dial on the left maxed, I get 50K resistance tip-sleeve with the pedal at max travel.  With the dial on the left at it's minimum setting, I get about 10K resistance worth of "travel" out of the thing.

Right right, I was assuming without the extra dial.

-Colin

analogmike

DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

RaceDriver205

Smallbear will sell you a volume pedal shell, and a 100K wah pot to fit. Add a plug to the pedal, wire it to the pot, and youve got a 100K expression pedal.

Processaurus

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on August 07, 2006, 04:45:40 AM
Smallbear will sell you a volume pedal shell, and a 100K wah pot to fit. Add a plug to the pedal, wire it to the pot, and youve got a 100K expression pedal.

Thats what I thought, but sadly at least the typical wah (crybaby) pot taper is way too funky to be a good substitute for a linear taper pot.  Now if someone made a crybaby type pot that was more linear, but still had the thing where towards the end of the pot's travel there is minimal change in resistance, that'd be the ticket.  I think you need that because that rocker pedal design doesn't go to the extreme ends of the pot.  Maybe one of those "s" taper pots would work better, you need the bigger CTS type rather than alpha though, because the bracket it tightens onto is fairly thick (3/16"?)

One thing to do might be to get deeply DIY and take apart a linear taper pot and glob solder on a portion of the conductive wafer at one end, to make it so you'd get the full extremes of the pot from the less than total shaft rotation of the pot the crybaby chassis gives.

Does Korg make some plastic expression pedals for their synths? 

ExpAnonColin

The korgs are 250k or someting like that.  Most expression pedals I've come across just have regular alpha pots in them anyways... not special crybaby ones.

-Colin