[TS-808] WIMA or Mylar cap?

Started by DVB_master, August 07, 2006, 10:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVB_master

Hello all! After some practice I've decided to build my own TS-808. Because I've not yet enough experince with capacitors and their "tone", I don't know what kind of film cap should I use for the TS.
I have these green capacitors (Mylar right?):
0.1uF - 5% tol. (104J) (desoldered from some speakers  :icon_biggrin:) do you think it's good anyway? ???
0.047uF - 10% tol. (473K)
0.022uF - 10% tol. (220K)

I have also WIMA caps with the same values but their tolerance is 20% !!!!

I've heard that WIMA caps are better for audio purposes, but I'm asking myself "Should I chose better capacitor value or better capacitor tone"?
If you can suggest me something, you'll make a man happy! ;D

MANY THX

smank

Try to use the Wima caps.
20% of tolerance is big, but consider that I've applied my mods to increment the bass response, so doesn't matter... Try the sound by yourself: if you don't like it, you can change to Mylar caps. If think both are better than ceramics caps.

For the values you can use 0,15uF instead of 47nF and 2,7K for the resistor instead of 4,7K.
For the other caps, the original values sound good.

DVB_master

Quote from: smank on August 07, 2006, 10:28:22 AM
For the values you can use 0,15uF instead of 47nF and 2,7K for the resistor instead of 4,7K.
For the other caps, the original values sound good.

Hi man, Is this a such mod?

DVB_master

AH! What do you think about MKT Polypropylene film, 10% cap? ???

smank

The MKT Polypropylene film will be good, I use often this type of capacitors.

On the modded TS-808, I don't like the mod on tonal control (as Keeley does, for example), but I work just on max gain and more basses. You can obtain both with the modified resistor and cap I've proposed. If you want a 1M log pot will add a bit of further saturation (leave the 47/51pF cap, in this way in increased gain it smooth a bit of high for a warmer sound).
For the IC I like the TI RC4558 or the LM833.
A sligth difference is due to the non electrolytic cap of 1 uF (MKT Polypropylene will be rigth) I use.
Other mod is to add a germanium diode in series with one of the 2 silicon diode, just for a small asymmetrical distortion.